Please help me get X-com running again!

Red_robbo

Hey guys,

I was shocked and pleasantly surprised to see there's still an X-com board going and still X-com fans alive that remember the game except for me!

However, Im having HUGE problems running any 3 of the X-com classics.

Basically, I have the DOS versions of TFTD and Enemy Unknown, can anyone figure out how I can get these working on a computer where I have Windows XP? (Im fairly computer illiterate!) I tried installing them, and TFTD does theoretically works okay, but it keeps crashing as soon as I send my agents upstairs or an alien throws a bomb etc etc basically it crashes loads and isnt the same. UFO crashes as soon as I build a base!

I tried to download the versions from Fileplanet but it wont lemme download them! It says that I have insufficient memory because I need EB, and I only have GB-What the hell is an EB in relation to gigbytes/megabytes etc?

Apocalypse...I've given up on, so I'm just trying to get the first two games to work, preferably UFO!

Please, please help me! Im practically tearing my hair out just so I can play the classic games again.

Cheers guys

Rob

Welcome to StrategyCore, Red_robbo :drink:

The good news is that it is possible to get the X-Com games to work properly with Windows XP.

Download and install the Windows version of a free piece of software called DOSbox, which you can find here. DOSbox is a Dos emulator that allows you to play a lot of old games, including the first two X-Com games despite having Windows XP.

The instructions that come with DOSbox are pretty formidable looking, but there are only two of them that you will need to understand: the mount command and how to speed up the game (you press Ctrl and F12 until the number of cycles per second, which is shown at the top of the window, is increased to about 12,000).

DOSbox lets you run UFO and TFTD, although some versions of the games seem to work better with DOSbox than others. Unfortunatly, I can't remember how you get Acopalypse working with Windows XP, but I know there is a way.

To run the Dos versions of UFO/TFTD on Windows XP, you need DosBox.

The Windows versions of the game are no longer available on FilePlanet (though your post did give me cause to check again).

I've never heard of an EB. Considering that not many people have a terrabyte sized drive yet (or anything bigger), I doubt it's a memory size.

If you could post a URL link to the error page in concern...?

Apocalypse can be run with or without DosBox. I recommend without, myself. I've been meaning to type up a definitive guide as to how to make the thing work, then sticky it, but haven't got around to do so yet. There are a number of threads round here with hints, however.

Hey I just edited this post because I finally got X-com working thankyou so much! It wouldnt work on DOSbox at first because I installed the version I had from a CD from the "Unknown terror" boxset I got about a decade ago. However, I downloaded an internet DOS version of the game and it works like a treat on DOSbox. Thank you so much guys!

As for Apocalpyse, I gave up on it because it seems God doesnt want me to complete the game! I had it up and running on my laptop perfectly well, following all the instructions provided by a Wiki link for the apocalpyse article. However, I played all the game except the VERY last mission and then went on holiday. When I came back 3 weeks later, I found that apocalypse no longer runs smoothly, because the mouse and keys will no longer respond to my commands properly, for example excessively scrolling in one direction, being "sticky" or having the mouse keep disappearing and reappearing. Has anyone else had that problem?

But thanks again for getting UFO to work for me guys, I've been trying for awhile and its seriously appreciated. I forgot just how awesome the original really is!

Hi,

I've just joined up to this forum my self after google searching for some X-Com stuff. I love the UFO games and always fire them up to have another blast.

I didn't need to run and other software, I just ran the game from the folder and it plays with no issues!

I even found a .zip file with all the old editors & stuff and most of those still work ok, DOS lives on!!

DJAd

Hey I just edited this post because I finally got X-com working thankyou so much! It wouldnt work on DOSbox at first because I installed the version I had from a CD from the "Unknown terror" boxset I got about a decade ago.

Weird, I run that version with no trouble on Dosbox :drink: