A shot in the dark...

Slythe

I'm sure most people who've played this game long enough have had this experience. So I landed at a downed large scout site with floaters, bringing along a couple fresh rookies with other experienced soldiers like I like to do, to give them some practice. As I exit the skyranger my veteran spots a floater at the edge of the range of my view. I back him up a bit and move a rookie into firing position then let loose with autofire. First shot misses and goes off into the darkness and I hear the sound of a floater die, next shot hits the target and kills it, third shot goes off into the darkness and I hear yet another floater die. God I love when that happens.

By the way, do some aliens start out wounded and with fatal wounds when a crash site mission begins ? There've been many times when during the alien's turn I suddenly hear one die somewhere but no shots were fired by either side.

:( hehehe! its happened to me but in the reverse order, i land at a small scout and at the beginning of the mission i move three troops out of the skyranger and line them up at the base of the skyrangers ramp. when i move my last soldier out, i place him at the right side of the skyranger next to the other soldier who stands to the right of the third soldier. at the exact moment i place the soldier to the right, three plasma shots come flying from the right, bom my

By the way, do some aliens start out wounded and with fatal wounds when a crash site mission begins ?  There've been many times when during the alien's turn I suddenly hear one die somewhere but no shots were fired by either side.

That happens when you're assaulting a UFO that has been shot down by your fighters. Depending on the damage inflicted on the UFO some aliens will be killed by the crash and others will get fatal injuries.

There's nothing like investigating a crash site at night and suddenly hearing the shriek of a dying alien coming out of nowhere. :(

I liked spotting a floater retreat down a base corridor when I was out of TU's, then on my turn, unleashing AC-HE 3-shot burst into the corridor (at an angle for burst effect), and hearing the scream in the distance. (Aliens like hiding just out of range.) Also throwing HE around a blind corner, moving out of the blast area, and getting the kill. And firing incendiaries into a darkened garden, for more light, and lighting up a Reaper I didn't know was there...

I didn't like how on this base assault a crack team of four found a breach in the command centre outer wall, decided to hang around and snipe while the rest of the base was cleared, and took THREE blaster bombs on the alien commander's turn.