Screen not properly aligned

fivetiger

I downloaded the CE version of X-com from Fileplanet so I could play on XP.

EU seems to run okay with the exception that what should be the top 4 or 5 centimeters of the screen is cut off and appears at the bottom. For example, the "intercept" button on the geoscape is actually at the bottom of the screen.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this problem.

Another thing...although I downloaded the CE version, I can't find any games other than EU. Can someone tell me if they have had a faulty CE download from Fileplanet or what might be going on?

That particular download isn't the full Collecter's Edition (which contains a few other games). It's just the Collecter's Edition of UFO.

If it was a faulty download it wouldn't even install.

Anyway, as for troubleshooting, you'll need to note down your system specs, operating system, etc.

Also, have you tried using the graphics fixing patch thingy (which I'm pretty sure is included in the File Planet download)?

• 4 weeks later...

Ive got a similar but not completly the same problem with my LCD monitor, Ive used the patch file to play the game as the other is as you say pete pointless and completly unusable, and the graphics are perfect apart from the fact that it only plays in the middle of the screen at about 3 inches wide which isnt all that great. Any ideas anyone?

In case you want to know my specs are as follows

X2 4800+

X1900xt 512mb ATI graphics card

windows xp service pack2

2gb ram

asus motherboard

standard floppy,hd,dvdrw, 600w psu etc

I dont know if my specs will help or if it just seems like im showing off (sorry but I might be a bit im not totally sure) but I hope theres an easy fix and im just being thick, or it's back to dosbox and my original version of ufo EU which of course I love anyway.

I forgot to add that ive tried changing the refresh rate with no joy ;)

and ive now also tried turning off direct draw in dxdiag with still no success

There are a depressing number of people who expect their problems to be fixed without a discription of what they're working with. It's good practise to list your computer stats. ;)

When you say the display is only a few inches wide, that is to say that the vertical resolution works fine (covers the height of the screen correctly), but the image is squashed horizontally (does not cover the width correctly)?

On my monitor, the image stretches across the width ok, but is squished in concerns to the height. Only slightly, though. I find I can stretch it out by upping my refresh rate, but any setting other then 60hz stretches it so the image is too big for the screen.

Does your monitor allow you to resize the image at all via it's own controls? What happenes when you tweak the refresh rate?

Sorry BB your quite right the widtch is fine it's the horizontal which is playing up and no mater which refresh rate I have it on from 60hz to 75 hz has no effect on the height at all :drink:

Also my pain of a monitor is all automatic when it comes to adjusting the screen size to fit a game which has always worked brilliantly up to now lol. Typical that it happens to one of my favorite games of all times.

I WAS ATTACKED BY A VIRUS WHEN I PRESSED REPLY SO TAKE A LOOK PETE, BB, SLAUGHTER

Looks like this virus is affecting forums as a whole so by the time you read this you are probably already aware of the problem and have hopefully solved it