Optimum speed

kai

It's a standard problem for people who aren't slowing their computers down (through Moslo etc) that the game is almost unplayable (esp on the geoscope)

Fortunately I have an old 466MHz box which I use for playing X-COM, even then it is a little too fast (Using X-COM Gold edition)

Does anyone know what the optimum range of clock speeds are for running the game? (might get an ancient laptop on ebay, going back to university soon, don't want to bother bringing a large desktop machine back with me)

The optimum speed really depends on your own tastes and how the hardware on the system you intend to get can handle the game. It seems unbearable fast on some setups while unbearably slow on other seemingly identical setups - so your mileage will vary.

An 80486 is quite good, although I find it to be a bit too slow at times. But that's just me. I also used to play on a Pentium 133mhz, and that was just right for my needs and it plays Apocalypse just fine. Others have done well between 200mhz and 300mhz, but that might be getting close to your own.

I imagine anywhere between a 80486 (anything less than 100mhz) up to 300mhz should be a reasonable processor speed to run both UFO or TFTD on.

- NKF