Noob needs help with making a very basic map

Tiger

Hi guys,

I have finally got into the map editor and want to start with making a very basic medium size map of grass, just to get me going, so I can add a building or objects etc.

Im not even sure how to create a grid yet!

can anyone help me get started please? Or is there any kind of step by step tutorial for us noobs?

I'm right at the start with a grey screen, and cant find how to create a new grid, or set the size of a new grid.

many thanks

Tiger :D

Good to know that there may be a new maps builder incoming ;). After my one and half year S3 modding and own maps-mods playing, it was ecstatic to play some other made maps with H&S. Aaaaah... *drooling* ;)

Anyway, you may find a good tutorial from the S2 or S3 editor's manual. Check it out and ask questions if needed - I'm still here (Slaughter haven't banned me ... yet :D) and I think some others may help you as well... At least I hope so.

One basic thing, final map's (to play) grid should be divisible by 8 (or maybe by 16 because that help you adding ground spots, which usually are 8x8 or 16x16). If you are making medium map then I may recommend grids 48x48, 64x64 (if square), 48x64, 80x64, 80x96 etc. BUT maybe you should start with 24x24 and just try to build some sort of building (house or something) or nature. You can then add it to any 'final ground' template.

Don't get frustrated ... Making maps are more easy than it may sometimes feel. ;)

Have fun.

Thanks KoMik,

Found the manual, it's pretty in-depth, but I managed to get me' map o' grass sorted ;)

...Now for some tasty bunkers...

*rubs hands together and chuckles devilishly*

Cheers matey :D

Wait a sec, I would like to ask about your plans. Are you going to...

1) Just make a one map and play it and then quit?

2) Make random encounters?

3) Make an new playable MissionZone?

If your answer is 1 then nothing. If 2 or 3 then I may recommend you to create an new database.

In the editor, go to main menu. There is Tools/set database ID value.... Set the current ID to 2000000 (or 3000000 etc). If you do this then you may have a good chance to convert your maps to H&S's editor in the future. AND if your answer was direct 2 then you may do REs and still play them together with my fast made RandomStorm_mod.

Now it's gratuitous come to me and say: "Why didn't you told/warned?". :D