Alien Base Question

ambianz

Hi, I have bases in Africa, North America and Siberia but want to get your input before building any more. The ships currently flying around are the Large terror ship, the Small cross-shape ship and the occasional Small-but-looks-like-it-should-be-called-Very-Small square ship.

Should I leave a continent X-Com free so they can build a base?

Should I not patrol/shoot down their ships so they can build it?

ambianz

If you are going to let a base be built it is generally best if the base is not inside a funding nation (it counts as alien activity in the area). On the other hand if you attack the supply ships and raid the base regularly, Xcom activity will offset alien activity by a good bit. So if you are equiped to do weekly attacks, go for it. If not just destroy the base ASAP if it's near a major funding coutry (US, Europe, Japan, etc).

The aliens sometimes send out a survey team for scouting the base construction site. Don't shoot these down and eventually a battleship will come along with the base construction crew. It'll land, and an alien base will be built next to it. You might need to do a bit of patrolling to reveal the new base.

It's hard to tell which ufos are on what missions until you have the hyperwave decoder. When you do, the ships on 'alien base' missions are the ones you want.

Alien bases also sometimes appear in a country after it has withdrawn its funding from X-Com, even if no ships on 'alien base' missions were spotted flying near that country.

- NKF

if you manage to miss the battleship that builds the base there are regular supply ships that go there, the dead giveaway is they land in the same spot, sending an intercepter to patrol near where the ship landed should reveal the alien base.

Having an alien base on the side to raid weekly is one of the best ways to make huge money... but it's a dirty job. Im surprised you don't have to pay your mercs more for those missions, Mind you it get's a whole lot easier with MC.

Once you get more than one skyranger team on the go you can attempt to capture all of the alien ships ( 5 i think, usually anyway) when they drop in to persuade a countries government. Timing is crucial for they don't stay to long.

as i havn't done it in some time i can't remember exactly how much you can make.. but it's over 5mil im pretty sure. [2 battleships, 2 large , and one terror ship ] = $$$

Quite a bit:

alloys 150-200 x 6500 = $975K - $1.3mil

power source 3-4 x 250K = 750K - $1mil

navigation around 500K - 1mil

entertainment about 20 x 20K = $400K

heavy plasma 12 x 180K = $2.16mil

sectiod corpse 12 x 20 = $240K

elerium 150-200 = priceless

You can make $25mil and have about 900 elerium.

Base raids make much less, but you can do them several times a day. The 5 ship assault will probably only happen once or twice in the game.

sectiod corpse 12 x 20 = $240K

heavy plasma 10 x 180K = $1.8mil

blaster launcher 2 x 200K = $400K

blaster bombs 6x = priceless

elerium 0-100 = priceless

Can make $2.5mil anytime you have nothing to do.

The way I make money in the game is basically to sell Heavy Plasmas. Especially on the higher levels, where they appear much earlier, you can just sell them off.

In a month, you can make well over $25 million, or if you sell them off every once in a while, a lot more.

The most I ever made in one sell off was a whopping $150 million.