Ammunition types

What is this

I couldn't find any information regarding different ammo types. What I'd like to know is how exactly does AP ammunition differ from conventional ammunition. I tried to find that out experimentally, but the results were extremely confusing.

Could anyone supply me with some real information beyond "AP is better for armored targets"? How does it work, if it reduces projectile resistance, by what formula?

Thanks in advance.

I couldn't find any information regarding different ammo types. What I'd like to know is how exactly does AP ammunition differ from conventional ammunition. I tried to find that out experimentally, but the results were extremely confusing.

Could anyone supply me with some real information beyond "AP is better for armored targets"? How does it work, if it reduces projectile resistance, by what formula?

Thanks in advance.

I think it just reduces the armour's influence in the calculation of the dealt damage. Since the armour reduces damage by X hp, AP ammo could divide this X by some number. This is the easyest way. Don't ask me for the exact formula, I'm sure ALTAR won't reveal it.

What would make it so secret? I believe, seeing as modders could extract male vs female stats from game data files (see the recent thread), this could be extracted as well.

And why did you post that, really? I specifically asked for something more than "AP is better for armored target", and that is the very thing you said.

What would make it so secret? I believe, seeing as modders could extract male vs female stats from game data files (see the recent thread), this could be extracted as well.

And why did you post that, really? I specifically asked for something more than "AP is better for armored target", and that is the very thing you said.

I posted it as a speculation on how the AP ammo effect is calculated. The end will always be "AP is better for armored target", however exact the answer is.

Why keep it secret? Perhaps they won't, but CA never disclosed their RTW damage formulas becouse (as they said) why would they disclose a damage system they spent a LONG time optimising to the competition? As simple as it may seem, the "simple" formula went through a long balancing process I'm sure.

Steady on old chap, he was trying to help you.

I'm afraid that there is no simple formula for working out how much extra damage AP rounds do to an armoured target.

There are a number of different damage types in both Aftermath and Aftershock. These damage types include universal damage, laser damage, warp damage and so on. Armour piercing is treated as a seperate damage type to other bullet types.

Each unit in the game has a certain amount of protection provided by whatever armour it happens to be wearing or even its own body. The exoskeletons of some enemies provide very good protection against standard (universal) rifle rounds.

When a unit is hit, the amount of damage that unit receives is reduced by the effectiveness of its armour. If an enemy has 50% protection against universal rounds and 10% protection against armour piercing rounds, then the amount of damage the enemy receives from a universal round is reduced by 50%, but the amount of damage it receives from an AP round is only reduced by 10%.

Different enemies have different levels of protection against AP rounds, and unfortunatly the glossary in Aftershock does not list these values. The only way to find out what they are is to go digging around in the game files. A guide to doing this can be found here.

There are other factors that effect the amount of damage that is inflicted, such as when shotguns and area effect weapons are used. Details can be found here.

As a side note, I have created a chart showing all the armour values in UFO: Aftermath, which can be found here. If anybody feels like doing the same for Aftershock, and letting us put it on this site, we would be grateful.

There is no "universal" in Aftershock. The damage types are:

Soft

Hard (aka AP)

Laser

Plasma

Warp

Sonic

Blade

Burn

Explosive

EMP (which isn't implemented)

Psi

Friend

Medic

If the Altar forums were up I could provide a link to posts where I have explained these things in greater detail.

BTW, in my mod the Glossary provides the exact armor levels for each enemy (once you have autopsied the critter).

There is no "universal" in Aftershock. The damage types are:

Soft

Hard (aka AP)

Laser

Plasma

Warp

Sonic

Blade

Burn

Explosive

EMP (which isn't implemented)

Psi

Friend

Medic

If the Altar forums were up I could provide a link to posts where I have explained these things in greater detail.

BTW, in my mod the Glossary provides the exact armor levels for each enemy (once you have autopsied the critter).

Oops, I'm still thinking of the way Aftermath had the extravagance of soft, universal and AP rounds :lovetammy:

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance.

AP makes "reticulan worshipers" hurt. ALOT. IF you are less effective at mowing down zombies who cares? Zombies piss your soldiers off, not make them stay in sick bay till game is over.