Toughest enemy? *Includes spoilers*

Cpl. Facehugger

So what do you guys think is the toughest single enemy? The mighty Wargot Power armor? The ever-annoying Cultist Psionic who panics half your squad? Starghost hovers, with their nasty warp-cannons?

How about the toughest enemy faction? Would it be the Cultists? Wargots? Starghosts? Or perhaps you go for a little fraticide, taking down the Humans, Cyborgs, or Psionics?

Naturally, I want to know why. :(

Haven't seen the Star Ghosts yet but I think the Cultisits are tougher than the Wargots. Up close the Wargots are tougher but I haven't seen any long range weapons from them yet. Those Cultist snipers that panic one of your guys into shooting up his own squad is very annoying.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

The Wargots have good armour and hitpoints, but they are let down by their weapons. Wargot weapons tend to be powerful but they have a slow rate of fire compared with human weapons. If you can get up close to the Wargots and let them have it on auto fire, they tend to go down quite easily, even the ones with power armour.

Starghosts have excellent armour and hitpoints and there is the matter of the clouds, but they have few ranged weapons which limits their threat.

The humans, cyborgs and psionics are potentially dangerous, at least early on, but they never attack your territories and they can be brought off. There is no need to make enemies of them and you can get out of the conflict if it is going badly for your forces.

For me, the worst enemies in the game are the Cultists. They have the same weapons and abilities as your squad so you have no special advantages over them. They even have the high tech weapons based on hybrid technology. The Cultists also have the courage born of fanaticism as they don't care if they have to die for their cause. And you are usually outnumbered. I find a cultist with a sniper rifle to be very hard to deal with, especially on a map with a large amount of open terrain.

What makes it worse is that the Cultists are so aggressive that a couple of hours after your battered squad stopped that incursion in the Middle East, New York is calling for help again.

What makes it MUCH worse is that the game does not allow you to wipe out the Cultists once and for all.

What I usually do when I get a mission is to note the time of the alarm, fly laputa over and then let a few hours pass. You have 9 hours (from the alarm) until the mission disappears, so I let 5 hours pass (unless another mission pops up in the meantime). Though I'm playing on easy right now, will have to play the new game on hard.

Something I've noticed about Wargot weaponry is that it tends to be horribly inaccurate. My tooled-up XM-8s with AP ammo tear through all but Wargot Power Armor like a hot knife through butter, to say nothing of M60s with AP.

For dealing with Wargot power armor, I've found that either a Barrett .50 to the head, or, ideally, a Warp weapon kills them dead with a minimum of fuss. Warp weapons especially, since they do *excellent* damage to wargots of all types, probably since they seem to ignore a target's conventional/piercing protection.

Slightly off topic, but was anyone else dissapointed that we didn't get to use those snazzy Wargot three-barreled chainguns that the red medium armor wargots sometimes use? I mean, I would have loved to bolt one of those onto my drones. I'd have also liked a equivelent to the Wargot power armor. Sure the Defender drone with its whooping 6000 hitpoints is a valid substitute, but it doesn't have the... stature I'd like. It's not impressive enough.

Starghosts: My main problem isn't their actual attacks, it's their paralyzing psionic beams. Those paralyze half my squad, and then the stars (which can actually do a respectable amount of damage if left alone) get to work. The fact that most SGs have ungodly amounts of armor and hitpoints only exacerbates this situation, but I like a challenge.

The cultists... now they are an interesting foe. In the beginning, they were *very* tough to tackle. Once you got medium armor (and later heavy,) they weren't nearly so bad though. I found that my troops, (who I almost uniformly either train as techs or gunmen) utterly slaughtered them once they were equipped with M60s/XM-8s and heavy armor. It also took them a really long time to distribute high-end weaponry (like plasma guns and sniper rifles) to their troops. I had the first plasma rifle not a few days after the Wargots arrived. They didn't have one until shortly before the Starghosts showed up.

I shudder to think what a cultist with a warp rifle would do though...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm still 5 days to wargot arrival (don't ask, I bought 1st game in my entire country but i paused playing for a month and a half :) ) and I think that in the the hardest enemy are cultist.

They're using mixed squads, paralel using psionics, cyborgs and humans, each of them seeking for a different tactics, especially in alien assault mode when they are in huuuuuge numbers... :lovetammy:

using similar weapons, suicide ninjas, armours...just name it... :)

Wargots? hmm, after all that reading about them I think that they are tough only in their few first missions amd after that, hmm, you know what to expect...right?

But, the worst enemy so far in a game for me is flatster, that little bastard is a pain everytime, even with lasers, and especialy in AA mod ;):)

• 3 weeks later...

Individually, most of the enemies I encountered were complete pansies. In the beginning, until I figured out to use laser weapons on them, Flatsters gave me a little trouble. Cultists were also difficult initially, as they had range and armored cyborgs, whereas all I had was a couple of shotguns. By the time I encountered the wargots, they were total pushovers, especially since they couldn't seem to hit the broad side of a barn. The only wargot weapon posing even a mild threat was their long-range grenade launchers, which they'd use to shell my snipers' positions, when they weren't busy hitting overhanging pipes or highway overpasses. The first powered armor I encountered was stuck in a ditch. I'm not even kidding, the guy couldn't move out of the area he started in! So, I had my sniper peg him with the .50 cal from across the map.

The starghosts weren't even dangerous, they were just really annoying. By the end, I got so pissed off at the 7-day research window for that last research, that I just ignored every single attack on my territory - only lost 10 or so resource spots.

So, overall, I'd say that the human enemies are the most difficult - the early game cyborgs totally wiped the floor with my squad, for example.

Now, I just have to play the game on 'hard' difficulty, maybe apply some mods.