X-COM music mod for UFO: Aftershock wanted...

samopal

hi all, iam big fan of x-com series and not long time ago i played UFO: Aftermatch with AMAZING x-com music mod. I was searching for bout 2 hours till now on net and in this site too, but i cant find mod like that one for UFO: Aftershock.. sadly. Probably it doesnt exist yet... does anybody have it or made it? Ill do anything ;)

I believe it would be fairly easy to modify the existing music mod for UFO: Aftermath to work with UFO: Aftershock. Did you try to add the Aftermath mod to the Aftershock folder? Not likely it would work, but worth a try.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a modder here or at the official boards that could make it Aftershock compatible.

tried it, but unfortunately it did not work... mod appeared to be installed correctly, but music is still left untouched in strategy/tactical view...

ive used mod from Strahd (big thx to you, man...) that is discussed here

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=2734&st=0

There are several reasons for the mod not being compatible.

For starters, the filenames for AM and AS are different. AS uses ogg files, while AM uses mp3s and some wavs. Finally the pathing in configuration files are different. Resolve these issues and you'll have the mod.

I would also like to note that the mod not only changes the music but also some sound effects.

Well, I just re-encoded the files from Strahd's mod to work with aftershock and is now available at the files section here.

A couple of notes:

Since I don't have the game yet I could only work with the demo, but it should work fine, however there was a section in the music configuration file in the demo that played a file I never heard. I extracted the file and played to confirm this. Since I couldn't tell where it is supposed to be played within the game I just took a wild guess. If you feel that the music doesn't match well the location do tell me.

Also, I'm aware there's 2 "window's information message box" sounds in the geo2.ogg file at time offsets 0:44 and 0:53. These were there in the original mp3 file of the AM mod and I'm trying to contact Strahd to resolve the issue.

Other than that, enjoy ;)

Hi im new to these forums BUT am a long time player and fan of the X-Come series. Ive tried your sound mod out Kret and is very good for saying you dont own the orig. But i couldnt help noticing that when you load up for the tactical missions the music plays and carries on into the mission wich anoyed me. So ive cracked your mod open and changed it slightley. although im no codder i removed the config and got rid of the terror from the deap sounds as i dont realy like the music from terror. Also ive changed the names as ive cracked the main sounds vfs file open and renamed them to whats in there. One problem though it still plays the original game music as well as the X-Com sounds too.

Kret if you want to help me out and make this better ide appritiate it with your codding or scripting exp.

Thanks

One problem though i cant seem to upload the file to this web site...?!

Hedcrusha, one odd thing I found is that the path and file names MUST be in lowercase when inside the vfs file, even if in the configuration file it references them in both upper and lowercase. I noticed this when the demo was crashing because of missing music files that where there. Could this be what you're doing?

Kret, ive played around with the cfg file but i kept it all the same as you did and there all in lower case but good point though ill try it. One other thing as well is that some of the files like the tactical music and load screens should be called loadscr1, loadscr2 ect and the tactical should be ambi1, ambi2 ect thats if your NOT using a cfg file that tells it what to do.

And Slaughter nice one ill shall send you a pm soon. Thanks for your help. :phew:

Ive edited it again and ive done it so no orig music plays except in the tactical as it plays two X-Com music and the orig music as theres more veriation in the atmosfere<<<(dam spelling). Also edited the music to be much more louder and sharper. So in the geoscape view the X-Com music will only play :phew: Ill try and upload again if not Slaughter said he would help me out. :D

[seems I have found the issue so removing the big post]

Well after some tests, it looks like some AS music are "hardcoded" from a "tag" point of view in the configufo.txt file.

If for example you decide to use "Geo1" or "Credits" those will use the original AS music even if you provide your own files to replace the music in the modded vfs. This does not seem to occur with all tags though.

So my advice is to use your own tags / music file names, and not use the ones by default found in the configufo.txt file (for example I am not using "GeoX" anymore but "StratgeoX" and my files are named stratgeoX.ogg instead of the usal geoX.ogg)

Reply to myself. Found the issue about loading music used in tactical missions with the XCOM music mod. This is because the configufo.txt file in the XCOM music mod only sets the music for the "factory" maps.

Modified the config file to include all kind of tactical maps. This seems to work now. Maybe the mod could use a update there.

Sounds good mate! If you send the file to Kret, he can modify it I'm sure. hedcrusha also made a new version, but it's so large we have a little trouble getting it.

Well I have only used the XCOM music mod to help me overcome the issue I faced. I am not waiting for a modified version. Though I think it would be good to modify it regarding what I have found so other people can appreciate it (this is not my mod so I won't be doing it).

Personnaly I am working on my own music mod with Half Life 1/2 musics which perfectly fit the UFO atmosphere (though I won't release it because I am not sure how property rights work and the file is going to be very large).

hi again! @ Four, now ive tested it to some extent with the loading missions and have found that there not hardcoded into the game as ive overiten all the sounds i want in the game ie loading screens menus ect. I have no problems with it at all but like slaughter said im having trouble uploading it as it waighs around 64mb so if anyone knows of a free upload site were i could upload it so slaughter can dl it and host it on this site would be great!

hi again! @ Four, now ive tested it to some extent with the loading missions and have found that there not hardcoded into the game as ive overiten all the sounds i want in the game ie loading screens menus ect. I have no problems with it at all but like slaughter said im having trouble uploading it as it waighs around 64mb so if anyone knows of a free upload site were i could upload it so slaughter can dl it and host it on this site would be great!

have you tried www.megaupload.de?

Hi has anyone tried out my edited X-Com music mod?

Give me your views please.

i tried it, its goood :mad: , but when i installed it, i discovered that this is music from original x-com. i wanted the music form x-com: terror from the deep, this is the x-com i played all the time when i was a child... i never played x-com 1 so the music from it is strange for me and a i cant say if it fits well to tactical/strategy part... however, good work... and does anybody now the way to make musicmod from x-com: TFTD?

Well thanks for the reply! samopal i tell you what ill just make a terror from the deap music mod just for you! Including all the tactical sounds ect! The reson i removed the tftd sounds is because i realy loved the music in enemy unkown so i wanted this music in AS as I thought it would fit the scene. But for all you peeps who are used to tftd ill do one for ya!