More UFO: Aftershock previews...

Thorondor

Tiscali Games (Czech) and GamersHall.de (German) have taken UFO: Aftershock for a spin and tell the tale in their respective in-depth previews.

For the "non-speaking", there are several fresh screenshots depicting things like: diplomatic negotiation, soldier recruitment, training options, the Cyborg leader himself and... the very first planet-side Reticulans on record !

::

Spotted at UFO: AS's HQ.

"Hmmm, I might be wrong but doesn't this news looks like those over at the official boards Thorondor ?"

Quite a bit, yes, Stefan100. :D

And I'd be only too glad to credit you for the heads up too, but for the fact that the links to the previews are really courtesy of the official UFO: AS web site (where I spotted them as well, prior to seeing your post at the official boards).

Which reminds me who I should have credited as a source... :D

And I'd be only too glad to credit you for the heads up too, but for the fact that the links to the previews are really courtesy of the official UFO: AS web site (where I spotted them as well, prior to seeing your post at the official boards).

Eh, I was only teasing you a little... :D

Could some German speaking persons make some quotes (In english if that wouldn't be too much trouble) of the most interesting things in the previews? Thanks in advance.

Hey, my account still works here :D

Mmh, strange: The german previewers don't seem to bother spell-checking their articles, both the gamevision and especially the gamershall preview were full of errors. And for gamershall I'm talking about at least 1 error per sentence, without a top limit it seems... Good thing the content appears to be accurate at least. Still it hurts the impression of a casual reader a bit, if the site/author doesn't deem the game interesting enough to put some effort in the article. :D

Anyway, I'll try and translate some things:

[...]

The version I played was from end of August, so the developers had about 2 months time since then to fix the occuring bugs. But the developers themselves explicitely mentionened that there were still bugs left to be squished (in the preview version). For this reason I don't want to give a definitive rating, but I'm confident that with a successful fixing of the remaining bugs it will be around 80 to 90 percent.[...]

The graphics:

Overall very good, the buildings etc look very real. You can also zoom smoothly (even with my graphics adapter). Despite of the fact that graphics should be no priority for this genre, they certainly not neglected them.

The sound:

Nothing special, but fitting the game, and not annoying even after hours of playing.

[...]

Finally I want to announce that Gamershall.de will take the role of being the official support forum.

Conclusion:

Being a fan of the UFO series, I'm happy that the developer Altar brought some old details from the XCOM games back into the game, which were left out in Aftermath. The GC presentation already convinced me, I'm confident that UFO AS will be a worthy successor to UFO Aftermath. A point of particular interest to me are the system requirements, and to my impression they found a good compromise to make as many UFO-fans as possible happy. I'm looking forward to the review version and will provide you with more details then.

Wow, that was quite a challenge for my english :) - sorry for some strange grammar etc, I tried to stay close to the original text.

That quote about the official support forum doesn't make any sense to me.. Anyone?

My pleasure :)

With Gamershall.de doing the official german support forum (thanks Slaughter :D:)), I decided to take a look at their board today. Extremely quiet there (only 3 different people had posted there in total), but I "found" an interesting post there:

The previewer (to-be-reviewer) of Aftershock announced on Oct 4th that he received the review version, and already played it for 6 hours straight the same day :). A quote:

[...]

Like I thought, the developers invested quite some more work, the game didn't crash a single time yet, details have been improved and the non-operational features from the preview version have been completed.

Looks much, much better than the preview version already...

I was the first to reply today *shakes head* :D

Hope this is not too bad of an omen for Altar...

He offered to answer questions, so if you can think of any meaningful ones, I could translate and forward them.

Maybe its just that empty forums are so creepy - like a ghost town :D I almost expected to hear my own echo :D

Well, you must admit things were way more active back before the Aftermath release (the german forum for Aftermath is at the same place, so it shouldn't be unknown). Sure people will come after the release, but at the moment this appears to me as an indicator that Aftershock might not fare as well as it will possibly deserve. Well, we'll see.

Aftermath sold a lot of copies as preorders because quite a few people thought it would be more or less a sequel to X-COM. Aftershock has to sell because it's a good game and receives proper advertising. I think very few people has perordered Aftershock, and that this explains the less than crowded forums now. At least I hope so :D

Oh, and there's another preview at PC Gamerworld.