Damaged disk

Damnation

I recently tried to install Apocalypse on my machine, but I found that my installation disk has become damaged. I managed to copy most of them off for installation from the hard drive, but some of them wouldn't copy. Can anyone send me their copies of the UFOPAEDI directory from their disks? thank you for anyone who can help.

I recently tried to install Apocalypse on my machine, but I found that my installation disk has become damaged. I managed to copy most of them off for installation from the hard drive, but some of them wouldn't copy. Can anyone send me their copies of the UFOPAEDI directory from their disks? thank you for anyone who can help.

this is a tricky one... admins.. would you call it legal to send parts of an installation to someone who got his disc damaged?.. if it would be accepted.. I could send it to you... =) untill answer... wait and hope

Sinec it's just the UFOpedia folder, I personally don't see the problem. All that is is a bunch of graphics anyway if I recall correctly. Also, I know there were usability issues with pirated copies when the game came out, but none of these issues mentione the UFOPedia directory to my knowledge, so this sounds like a legit case (not saying you'd try to pull a fast one Damnation, just covering every angle in case anyone of a corporate persuasion is watching...).

However, just to cover ourselves at StrategyCore, I'd advise against it outright from a legal standpoint (see that Atari/Infogrames? Not condoning piracy :D) but if you choose to do so amongst yourselves via email or whatever, then we can't really stop you acn we? :)

If all else fails though, and the following site can deliver to you, all you have to pay is POSTAGE to get a new copy: https://www.fcdsoft.com/sku-APOCAL.html?ses...t0204QOYG1DunD1 (only 26 copies left, and this site IS legit :D).

It should be legal, since all you are actually providing is what was already available. It's technically and legally the same as providing a data file off the disk for a friend who has actually bought the program, but the data file became damaged. The only thing that makes this any different is that you can't see me, you can't see the CD, you don't know if I really own it. Up to you, but I could use the help, and would like to be able to download just the PCX files.

By the way, I believe I should have mentioned I only need Title.pcx through W-Title.pcx. The rest have copied fine, it's just these are giving me a cyclic redundancy check error when I try to copy them. Does anyone know of a utility that can still copy files from a damaged disk, or would I need to get a scratch repair kit and hope?

Also, precisely what issues were there with pirated copies? Were these the result of any effective copy protection, or just people who didn't really know what they were doing?

I'm not sure really. I think it was something to do with one or two broken .exe files, which suggests either incompetent pirates, or the publisher flooding the web with "pirated" versions that didn't work in order to annoy people enough into buying it (which is a neat idea :D).

I vaguely rememebr something about a no-cd patch not working correctly but it was all so long ago...

I'm sure someone here will definitely be able to sort you out with something, but just for the sake of playing it safe, not me :D

If all else fails though, and the following site can deliver to you, all you have to pay is POSTAGE to get a new copy: https://www.fcdsoft.com/sku-APOCAL.html?ses...t0204QOYG1DunD1 (only 26 copies left, and this site IS legit wink.gif).

I know this'll sound stupid, but could you give me a little more confirmation? Did you or anyone you know buy something from that site?

Someone I know recommended that site and, as far as I know without actually having seen it, they purchased a copy from there.

That plus the number has been going down slowly for the past three years or so leads me to believe it's genuine.

I also have three spare copies of the game myself if anyone in the UK needs one. Be warned that if you didn't already realise, it's a difficult game to get running on WinXP :D