Xcomufo.com Down

Kratos

The forums being down over the weekend was unrelated to the hacker's manipulation of the forum's index.php on Saturday. The hacker's mischief was quickly resolved and his ISP/host notified of the activity. The forum downtime over the weekend was due to some admin tweaking which turned awry :eh:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The forums being down over the weekend was unrelated to the hacker's manipulation of the forum's index.php on Saturday. The hacker's mischief was quickly resolved and his ISP/host notified of the activity. The forum downtime over the weekend was due to some admin tweaking which turned awry :eh:

Good to know, Micah :P

• 2 months later...

Some of you may have noticed that the xcomufo forums were down this morning due to a successful hacking. Well, they came back up again during the day/evening but now they are down again with this message:

Dear Nice Hacker...

We appreciate that you didnt delete everything, but that innapropriate behavior is not fun; less for people that donate their time for the enjoyment of everybody without asking anything in return... If you want to do this stuff to prove anything, try with interesting targets like the... mhhh lets say... Microsoft, the NSA, the FBI... at least they will serve a purpose (to bulletproof their system :) ), we are skilled but do not have the resources to buy an upgradeable copy of the boards so we have to live with this kind of intrussions.

BTW, using known vulnerabilities isnt great; needless to say that I have tracked down an shutdown hackers before... but it is something I do not enjoy at all; less have the time to do. So my project time is devoted to contribute something to the community of open source programmers (where most hackers dwell and get their information). In short, you are attempting against the very same community that gaves you the tools to do what you are now.

If you just want to contribute to something bigger than yourself, just add me to your MSN and talk with me and lets see if you can prove you are as skilled as you think you are: flois@madryn.com.ar

Sincerely,

Red Knight

Xenocide Project Leader

Hope this issue is resolved soon. ;)

- Zombie

We got hacked as well this morning. Some ruddy Iframe got put into the forum template again.

Iframe's been removed but I don't have time to update til tonight sadly. Hacking's automated though for the most part so I should have til tonight fingers crossed.

I doubt Red Knight's message will make a blind bit of difference as these attacks are usually automated with programmes scanning Google, looking for the forum software name and doing a pot-luck attack on that forum (the pot luck bit being whether or not it's up-to-date).

alright, maybe you need a lesson on hacking

1) There are these things called automated scripts, which are programmed by one time, usually a troll, to go to a specific place (or URL) and perform a certain action. That action, in our case, was to post in the thread that the URL lead to. So remove access to that thread, and the script doesn't work anymroe

2) A hacker (yes, its a big word, thats why you need help for me to define it for you) is usually a person, who goes to a website, looks around, and then codes a script that, when uploaded into a server, will wait. When the script gets a command to activate, it activates, doing many things, from posting a message to erasing data to knocking its mainframe down until someone can fix it. It is essentially a virus. And pretty much a much more complex script that needs manual activation

so i hope you now have a greater understanding of hackers, so you wont mistake an automated script from a hacker. And don't be so hostile next time, just because i can come up with better ideas that agree with the admin than your ideas

oh sorry, i meant the kind that hack websites, i believe thats how most hackers use scripts, although thats is not really always the case (i'd guess maybe 60 or 70%)

i most definitely didn't mean cracker... ;)

edit: I meant most hackers use scripts, not most hacker hack lol

No, I think you'll find that you do mean cracker. Look it up.

Your description of the average hacker hunting websites to break into and infect is anything but accurate. While it is true that hackers do make great use of them, the average script has no use whatsoever for that purpose.

alright fine, you win

Just because i can't get what i'm trying to say down, i'm at least rather certain you at least get my point.

some hackers use scripts, but the scripts hackers use are less automated and more manual.

but how about we end the offtopic discussion?

While this discussion was going on, the admins at xcomufo.com have updated the forum software to IPB v2.1.6 (the same as StrategyCores). Now that the forum software is up-to-date, perhaps the successful hacking (urm, cracking) attempts will be minimized. ;)

- Zombie

Not likely - IPB just released another security update - v2.1.7 :)

Seriously though, I'm getting annoyed as I can't get into my custpmer centre to download the file as several hundred thousand others are trying the same thing.

You'd think they'd spread the load across several servers rather than leave folks panicking because they can't get their security update ;)

• 1 year later...

I assume the main reason is lack of continuous Admin presence, I've seen periods where the admins were not online for months.

Also, I believe their interest in the forums has seriously declined in the past year, as I see a notorious difference in these past 2-3 years.

Yes I noticed this as well. That isn't good for the projects that exist there, Ufo2k or Xenocide. And to think Ufo2k was going to get some forum changes.... Things are actually starting to look good for the project too, even with Serge's absence. Too bad they don't appoint a new administrator. Perhaps Zombie? :blush:

Who owns the xcomufo site anyway? Micah or Mindstormmaster? Isn't Mindstormmaster the server host?

Hmm, as far as I know, the owner of the server is Mindstormmaster. The owner of the site and of the forum software (i.e. he pays for everything) is Micah.

Appointing a new admin is indeed what that site needs, I had such a discussion with Red Knight a long time ago, his idea was to make me an admin, however that ended up in oblivion, possibly because it was impossible to reach the admins at the time.

The important thing is having a dedicated administrator. Since it's not paid work, it's extremely hard to find admins/staff that contributes much. XCOMUFO feels like it's dying a quiet death, and that's a shame.

Zombie is one of the very dedicated people that contributes a lot. I think lifting him to head honcho would be good for XCOMUFO. Of course, like all of us he has limited time on his hand.

If all else fails, maybe Pete and me needs to step in :blush: