Prox mines.

Mouse Nightshirt

I'm a leading expert on 'some' aspects of the game. But I'm always willing to learn more.

I do not know the falloff rate (haven't had much of a chance to get any experimentation done lately), but perhaps the game has a falloff limit? Or, as the game is so fond of percentages, would it be 10%? But the radius is still 11 tiles, with 100% being at the very centre of the 23 tile diameter.

What I'm planning to do is get a handful of grenades (50 damage), then create a bunch of 200 health soldiers with 0 under armour (and disarm all the aliens so they don't get in the way) and have my soldiers er, collect data.

- NKF

I did some experimenting with various explosives a long time ago. Of course,when you need the results they are somehow missing! From what I remember, Hobbes' idea is pretty close to what I experienced.

Damage to a tile depends on what that tile is made of. For example, a grass lawn tile requires a lot less damage to change to "burnt" than a tile with paved asphalt or concrete. A dirt surface requires even less. Corrugated roofing gets more damaged than white asphalt shingles. You get the idea.

The blast radius of each explosive is what the OSG says, 10 points less for each square from the epicenter. Stand soldiers at regular intervals from a grenade, and they take less and less damage the further out you go. The ground may not look charred or "burnt" at the outer reaches of the explosion because the damage was not enough to turn it to the "damaged state". Ranged weapons will also impart a "burnt" look to a tile if the tile is not resistant to the weapon damage. Firing lasers or plasmas at grass will turn the tile burnt just like explosives! :power:

Yes, but to turn burnt you must impart a certain level of damage to the tile. Just because the Blaster Bomb has a 11 tile burn radius, it does not mean that a soldier with no armor on the 12th tile will remain unhurt after the explosion! Tiles 12 through 19 have damage done to them - just not enough to make it apparent.

Think of it this way: tile 11 should have 100 points of damage done to it with a Blaster Bomb. Tile 12 would have 90 points. Since you do not "see" burn damage to this tile, it means that this tile requires 100 points or more damage to change it to the burnt texture. But like I said, tiles with different surfaces require different damage to change into burnt. A Blaster Bomb might impart an 11 tile burn radius in say dirt or grass, but the same Blaster Bomb fired at a blacktop roadway might only impart a radius of 9 (just a guess).

I will confirm it: A standard grenade (strength 50) burns tiles by a 3 tile radius (or a 7 tile diameter). There IS damage beyond that. However, it's so low that even your standard jumpsuit tends to absorb it (but if you had an armour of 0 you'd feel it). It looks like the 10 damage falloff may work for standard grenades after all.

50 (centre), 40, 30, 20, 10, 0

Note: Weaker tiles will actually get burnt with a 4 tile radius.

Again, this is only confirmed for the standard grenade. Heavier damage levels may have different falloff rates.

Hmm, it seems as though explosive damage is multiplied by 1.5. My tests with the grenade (50 HE) maxes out at 75 for ground zero calculations. At 1 tile from the centre, it maxes at 60 (or (50 - 10) * 1.5 = 60), 3 tiles away it's 45, etc.

However, this still doesn't quite explain why the blast radius for the blaster bombs max at 11 or 12 (from the centre).

I'll just toss up my savegame if anyone wants to give it a go.

Explodey

Get the zip file and unzip it into one of your save folders and gather whatever stats that you want.

- NKF

Since you do not "see" burn damage to this tile, it means that this tile requires 100 points or more damage to change it to the burnt texture.

If that were the case, then the standard grenade would have no burn effect what-so-ever, and yet it does. (All of the burn radii I've stated have been recorded on grass only)

Ok, I finally found my old data on explosive ammunition. Seems like I never quite finished the table though! I performed an exhaustive test on Sunday to double-check my old data and fill in those blank spots. Now, I know we have been discussing explosive strength in terms of radius, but humor me here because my data is all in diameters (for a reason). There are quite a few different types of terrain in X-COM, so I am unsure if I am missing any. But this should at least get us started:

Dirt/    Grass   WhtTile   Asphalt    Tin      White     Concrete
          Weeds    /Lawn    Roofs     Roads    Roofs    Shingles   Walkway
Grenade     7         7       3         3        5         5          3
Proxy      11        11       7         7        9         9          7
Alien      13        13      11        11       13        13         11
Hi - X     13        13      13        13       13        13         13
Small R     9         9       7         7        9         9          7
Large R    13        13      13        13       13        13         13
Blaster B  23        23      25        25       25        25         23
AC - HE     5         5       1         1        3         3          1 
HC - HE     7         7       3         3        5         5          3

Corn     Wheat    Desert   Mars     Polar    Mountain     Alien
           Fields    Fields    Sand    Sand      Snow     Tundra      Floors
Grenade       7         7        9       0         1         0           0
Proxy        11        11       13       0         5         0           0       
Alien        13        13       13       3         9         3           0
Hi - X       13        13       13       7        13         7           3
Small R       9         9        9       0         5         0           0
Large R      13        13       13       5        11         5           1
Blaster B    23        23       23      23        23        23          21
AC - HE       5         7        7       0         0         0           0
HC - HE       7         7        7       0         1         0           0

"White Shingles" refers to the roof on the gas station complex.
"Mars Sand" refers to the soil on the Martian surface in Cydonia.
"Alien Floors" refers to the floor of an alien base. Alien ships were not checked.
"Concrete Walkway" refers to sidewalks near buildings or roads.

Do you see why I stated the strength in diameter instead of radius? How would you express a burn diameter of 1 in a burn radius, 0.5 ?!? To convert the diameters to a radius, subtract one from the diameter, then divide by two.

Surprising facts:

The sand in a desert is more vulnerable to explosive damage than the surface of Mars.

The surface of Mars has damage equal to the Mountainous terrain.

Alien floors are the toughest terrain to damage (excluding ship hulls).

Soft terrain such as dirt and grass is tougher to damage than roofs or roadways!!!

The High Explosive is the most potent grenade in the game.

The blast radius ratio between two different explosives is very similar to the damage ratio!

Note: The above tables show the total number of squares affected (damaged) by the blast. They do not show whether those squares are just damaged in some way, or totally scorched black. I tried this scenario out on the "Desert Sand" category and got the following for scorched diameter:

Grenade: 0 (9 normal)

Proxy: 3 (13 normal)

Alien: 7 (13 normal)

Hi - X: 11 (13 normal)

Small R: 3 (9 normal)

Large R: 9 (13 normal)

Blaster B: 23 (23 normal)

AC - HE: 0 (7 normal)

HC - HE: 0 (7 normal)

I hope this explains something about explosives! :power:

Build a house with dirt? Nah, not resistant enough to general weapons fire!

The ultimate house would be one with the inner walls made from alien alloys, and an outer embankment of Martian soil. The soil would absorb the brunt of small weapons fire, while the alien alloys would fend off those Blaster Bombs somewhat!

Kinda sounds like the pyramids on Cydonia, doesn't it? :power:

Nice floors table :power:

I've checked some of those entries with the actual game values for their constitution/armor, using MapEditor.

Some of them I couldn't figure out which ground you're mentioning.

Snow 25

Cydonia 40

Tundra 40

Sand 5

Green (Farm) 5