African Alliance & Jagged Alliance 3D screenshots

Slaughter

MiST land just released 6 new screenshots for both their upcoming games, African Alliance and Jagged Alliance 3D. Have a peak and tell us what you think!

Wow, the 3d looks great. I could see by some of the pics that some of my favorite mercs are coming back and I was glad about that.

I did have one concern though. Not in the screenshots, but I was looking at the system requirements. They seemed a little steep. I don't have a problem with them but there are some people I know who will have a problem, and they are are big fans (still playing JA2). I have to say, I always thought of JA as on the lower end requirement wise. I can understand that it is a sympton of it being a new 3d engine but does anyone know if the requirements listed are required or recommended?

This is my first post btw. Just wanted to say hi to everyone and please pardon the intrusion.

Welcome to the boards Bunnysays! :confused:

There is no doubt that the new 3d engine will require a lot more, but I agree that those requirements seems awfully high. Even Doom 3 doesn't have that high requirements, so it has to be the recommended ones. Seems like a bad idea to only list the recommended ones at the site though...

Welcome to the boards Bunnysays! :confused:

There is no doubt that the new 3d engine will require a lot more, but I agree that those requirements seems awfully high. Even Doom 3 doesn't have that high requirements, so it has to be the recommended ones. Seems like a bad idea to only list the recommended ones at the site though...

I was thinking along those lines. But when I was originally looking I thought that most devs. will try to predict whats needed at the time the game will be released and since this was the first I ever saw of the game (I've since seen many links and forums on this site) I knew virtually nothing about JA3d. I thought that maybe the numbers were for, say, late next year or whenever they assumed they would be finished (I had no idead/was just guessing). That's what I was assuming anyway when I saw how steep they were. That maybe it was just a prediction and will be finalized further as it develops. And Frankly, I find that most games will lowball the numbers so as not to frighten buyers away with high requirements. So imagine what they might be to actually get the game to run well. Potentially higher. But then I thought, why show them at all then if they weren't pretty confident of what they should be? Then I just got confused because I was thinking the same thing you were. Why show only the recommended requirements and not the minimum? Usually everyone shows the minimum or both but certainly not the recommended. So that still makes me wonder if it actually isn't the minimum and the numbers may be ridiculously high. Honestly, it makes me a little nervous about it.

Thanks for the friendly welcome Olav. I wrote you an email about a link to a file that I thought wasn't working (for UFO:AM -- my fault, it was just some sort of hiccup) just a few days ago and you were very helpful. I've since been visiting this board pretty regular and I'm sincerely glad it's here. I hadn't realized how many people were like me and still running xcom on their computers. BTW, the site is awesome. Really nicely laid out.

• 2 months later...
Are you thinking that if they're really bad that that will seal JA's fate for good?

Exactly! Having some incompetent developer screwing around with the license will do more damage than not touching it. Both Mist land (see their previous work) and GFI seems very incompetent, and I'm not sure Strategy First intends to do the franchise justice either (quick money more like it).