Creating New NPC Units

vs322

Hi All,

So the way that I have been making new NPC (enemies and Civilians) is by drag coping a unit to a new folder in the Pers tab (drag copy by using Ctrl and dragging them to a new folder). I start with one similar in capabilities to what I would like; then I change there model / face / equipment etc. I then create a new string with the name that I want them to have and ta-da! new Unit.

At first I tried making one from scratch by pressing Insert at the folder level in the Pers tab, but I get a "Pers base value not found" warning every time I try to set some element of the new unit. So I'm wondering if any one has had any luck making NPC's from scratch. Also, if I've already started a new mod from the editor start-up screen do I need to do all the database copying that the changing constants thread talks about?

Thanks

-vs

Hi,

I havent tried the new NPC's yet but i found out while adding new weapon geometry that not all properties are exposed in the editor.... i had to manually enter values in the database to get my weapons to behave properly.

Perhaps there are some values that you need to edit or some reference that you need to enter manually?

Best of luck!

/P

hey slaughter didnt i see you active back in the days with UFO modding?? or is the avatar icon popular:)

If you are talking UFO:Aftermath, I was never a modder, but I made sure the news got out :cool:. If you're talking UFO: Enemy Unknown the answer is no. Did you mod either game?

Edit: Looking at your previous posts, we're obviously talking Aftermath. I ran UFOAftermath.co.uk for quite some time, so I guess I posted in the modding forum a time or two ;)

For Creating NPC I have realized that under the properties of each Per there is BaseValueID where you can chose the starting stats of a Per. You can also create a new one a la the insert key--- then edit away; If you wan to have the perks from a class however I would recommend that you copy a BaseValue (hold ctrl and drag to a folder) and then edit it---I have not gotten too deep into skill adjustments, but it works for level and attributes.

For skills I usually set the value via script.(I have yet to need a gang of Pers who are excellent in some skill (Egad! the best engineers ever!!!))

-vs

slaughter: Well you are doing a great job .. lots of useful posts keep it up ;)

yes i did some modding but just graphic .. no script .. brought in a seburo gun and som interface mods.

refering back to my previous post, if there are edits you need to to in the database you would probably want to use access and create a form .. its easier than raw edit in row mode....

something i found when browsing the database is that they probably had (have) some code dealing with research and vehicles (travel at least) anyone of you scripters looked into that ?

/P