Interceptor: Control of...

Sober Council

After a little break from the hallowed X-COM titles, i thought i might dust of Interceptor 1.2.

So, i jump straight in. Everything's fine till i get to my first mission, and i remember why i put it away in the first place.

The mouse. Its backwards... :huh:

Up isn't supposed to be up. Its supposed to be down. Bah! i can't work under these conditions! Its.... Its.... Its..... Bleedin impossible is what it is! :P

Is there any such thing as a patch, or a little bit of something to stick in an .ini file to flip the mouse x-axis over, or am i just wanting too much?

If there isn't (I can't recall if there is) you'll just have to visualise the mouse control the same way a fighter plane's flight stick behaves (if I'm not mistaken about them). You move the mouse forward = push the stick forward wich means to go "down", move the mouse backward = pull on the stick back wich is to go "up".

There's a lot of flight sim games out there that use this method, while others use the other standard method. It's just a matter of getting used to the controls, so go practice in the games simulator :huh:

Erm... Kret...

This is the problem.

Pushing the mouse forwards makes the controls say 'pull up'.

As a practicing Elite player, the pull-back-to-pull-up control setting is (probably more than) second nature.

Btw... Thankyou. Come again. :huh:

@Slaughter

There doesn't appear to be anything in (any of) the .ini file(s) even mentioning a mouse.

Any clues at all?

Anyone? :P

If no one here knows I guess your best option is to ask at XComUFO.com. Since I don't have the game there's little I can do to check. Seems EXTREMELY stupid not to include Invert mouse though :huh:. By the way, didn't Dave Ellis work on this one? I can send him a mail and ask if so.

Ah right, do the game's mouse controls are in reverse of the instinctive motion of flight sticks. Sorry, couldn't recall which one it used. I only know I had similar problems but got used to it quickly enough. After being blasted to space debris several times tho.

Pete, have you heard of the way people got Doom III to work on win98 and me oses? There seems to be precise instructions to change the calls found in the exe so it uses the correct library function for these older OSes. Why am I stating this. Because the problem could be very similar as in that the library function that Interceptor's exe is calling when trying to determine probe random location works differently from the old win9x(me) OSes than in the NT based ones. Probably the parameters the function expects in the NT based ones are incorrect and returns and error which in turn the game interprets as "Stick it up the player's craft's arse"

Purely speculation, and if I just had the right resources (including time) I would look into it.