Yet Another Xp Help Topic.

Jh316

So, I downloaded the CE versions UFO and TFTD a while back (Don't gripe at me, I own the DOS versions of both, but that doesn't help me much with XP) and on my old computer, an HP Pavillion, they ran perfectly fine. Now, however, I have a brand-new Gateway which also has XP, and when I try to load either of them up, I'm greeted with the music but with a black screen. Same if I use Xcomutil or VDMSound. Any idea what could cause it? New computer's got a Radeon X300 SE with 128 MB, a gig of DDR Ram, and a 3 GHZ P4.

Then again, if this DOSbox program works, maybe I can use my CDs instead. Where can I go to get a patch for TFTD? I'm going to start on that since I've beaten UFO.

Don't suppose you tried that little graphical fix patch thingy?

Usually you won't get a black screen if that's your problem, but ya never know.

I'd try some other low res programs if I were you as well, it might be that the comp refuses to handle low res.

I read on the Internet that unlike CRT monitors (the quicker they update the picture the better for your eyes, and Hz is what determines this) LCD monitors address each pixel separately and thus does not use Hz in the same way.

Reason I found out this is that I was confused why Hz was never listed for LCD monitors. On CRT it would say "Supports 100 Hz in 1024*768, but it is never listed for LCD. Well, since they do not function the same way it is not important. But according to what I read on the Internet somewhere (can't remember where) it is best to keep it set to 60 Hz.

• 4 months later...