Stupid questions time...

Karnaaj

OK, obviously I need to up my medications, because I' ve gotten all creative- and productive-feeling, and thinking of making 3-d models and such to add to S2 for map'n'mod use. However...

Big Idea #1: a Ju-52/3m transport. Fully equpped with (explodable) fuel tanks, assorted switchable interior detailing (troop transport, paratrooper ship, cargo bird, REMF... uhm, staff/command setup), operable doors (so that detailing can be seen and destroyed) and even optional machine-gun positions! Question is, if I want it to be damagable/destroyable, will I have to build it as a building in the editor? Breakable glass, penetratable walls/floors/wings, if-you-don't-blow-it-up-with-a-grenade-there-should-still-be-a-hole, all kinds of good stuff.

(In fact, this should go for a lot of "scenery", even if it's not really accessable by the characters. There's lots of assorted "eye-candy" that can be done up, but I suspect there'd be less pressure to try and produce it if it would end up being a pretty brick.)

Big Idea #2: Guns. Lots and lots of guns. Big figgin' guns. <G> Given a new weapon model, would it be necessary to create a new weapons-use and/or reloading animation? (Something like adding a Johnson Semiautomatic Rifle, f'rinstance, or a fixed-position Type 92 machine gun; pump- or lever-action shoulder arms are a much different matter.)

I'll probably have more (and stupider) questions in the future, but these will do for the moment. Whenever the editor manual comes out, I'll be grabbing that and seeing if I can puzzle it out, but I figured I'd better go ahead and ask these while I'm in the thrall of enthusiasm...

Thanks! And if it doesn't help me (or if I end up lazy-bastard'ing out <G>), it might be of interest to others...

In order to create a large object that can be destroyed in pieces, then it will have to be created in pieces (much like how staircases are done right now). If constructed properly, it should collapse properly as well, when enough of the supporting structure is destroyed. Take note, however, that you wil have to create damage states for each individual piece. You also may want to take care to ensure the damage states link up properly (or not, depending on the look you're going for).

Yeah, I figured this out later; since I want the Ju52 to be interior-accessable, it's got to be a "building" so the level-changes will remove the wings/fueselage roof correctly. More of a monster to build, that way, but then it allows the option of using damaged and destroyed chunks as scenery... crashed aircraft ranging from a collapsed landing gear all the way up to a debris field.

Might just build a non-accessable, non-destroyable one as scenery first - the "pretty brick" option. Altho the smart thing to do in *that* case would be to start small... we'll see. (Hey, if I ever get something halfway decent-looking done, damn right I'm gonna foist it upon the public! <G>)

Thanks for the info!

Ah, it had slipped my notice that the plane you wanted to work on was the Junker 52. That would indeed warrant a player-accessible interior. Unless you plan on having the plane be a piece of scenery that takes up 75% of the map. :( Good luck on that, and feel free to bombard us with mroe questions (there's no such thing as stupid questions... only stupid answers :cry:).

Well, they don't *have* to be able to get inside... but yeah, for stuff *that* size it might as well be accessable.

I think part of my problem is that I've mainly been looking at lower-poly "bricks" in games like HalfLife, the Quake series, and Unreal. Dealing with a destructible world in S2 does make it more of a challenge. <G>