Cellars

Vizcire

Some maps has cellars, and it seems that the only way to make your chars able to walk down in them is to first heighten your map.

This can be done by making a Terrain Hole with positive height. Then, by doing a negative Terrain Hole on top of that, you can do a cellar.

But, if you want the whole map to raise, how do you succed with that? I've tried making a Terrain Hole over the whole map, but it won't fit with the borders. If you look at any map done by the Nival crew, you can see that their grid is lower and the ground is a bit thicker.

I believe that you have to lower the grid or heigher the ground.

Anyone have any answers on that :?:

Actually, there's no need to raise the ground. If you'll notice, the ground layer has a thickness of about 1 floor (IIRC). What you need to do to begin creating a cellar, is first to click on the "cellar" layer (in the layers window), and you'll end up with a translucent grey box when mousing over the display window. When you click on the ground, it will create a bottomless hole (the size of the cube). From there, you can start placing walls and floors to start fleshing out your cellar. Good luck!

[edit]

I should clarify this. I've been building in templates (much like how Nival has built most of its maps), so I got a little mixed up when I explained previously. To create the cellars it is not necessary to raise the terrain. However, to actually access them, you do need to. Easiest way to do this is to create a solid 50% grey .bmp in your paint program of choice, and import it into the editor. (See the heightmap thread on this forum for details).

[/edit]