how to train throwing skill

gozer

what should I use to train throwing skill? tossing grenades? don't have enough of them. ... so, is there any way to train throwing without wasting my supply of grenades?

similar question for engineering ... I just don't find enough locked doors or traps to get the skill any higher

• 2 weeks later...

Throwing can be trained with throwing weapons - knifes, shurikens etc. Almoust anything can be targetted with "a" -key.

Early game you can train pick lock with door at your base. Before you get any PK, the door is locked. Go and practise that one.

Hah, I didn't even think about the picklock in terms of that door. Nice catch.

Of course, since picklocks have a "charge", there's a limit to that, which they probably put in just for people like you. :)

I wanted to do the same thing with the engineering skill, but I wanted to do it with grenades, doors, and (perhaps) mine probes during random encounters.

• 2 weeks later...
Well to be fair, there simply aren't enough lockpick tools in the game to "legitimately" raise your engineering skill above 50-55 IMO. And really there aren't all that many throwing weapons to go around either, when you can often get them "stuck" in places you can't recover them without some fairly heavy demolition work.

Well to be fair, there simply aren't enough lockpick tools in the game to "legitimately" raise your engineering skill above 50-55 IMO.  And really there aren't all that many throwing weapons to go around either, when you can often get them "stuck" in places you can't recover them without some fairly heavy demolition work.

I'd be willing to bet that there are enough "throwaway" grenades, though, and enough usable doors/chests in both the random encounters and the missions.

The same goes for bandages early in the game. If you are attempting to raise your medic's skills by shooting your own people so that he can then heal them... well there just are not enough bandages to raise his skills very much. Of course you can use a console cheat to add more to his inventory. :oops:

You can raise most skills on any map after you have clear it. Instead of leaving just use walls and dead bodies as target practice.

Or have your team scatter and hide in stealth mode and have your Scout(s) run back and forth around them to raise his(their) Spot skills. I think it also raises Hide skills of the troops that are stationary in hiding.

I think there is another post with little tricks to help raise skills...

Playing the game on 'Hard' right now, and I'd have to say, I've got NO shortage of grenades.

Just about every soldier I kill in story missions drops a Breda or better, sometimes two. Even random encounters are rife with grenades.

I've adopted them as a way of raising my Engineer skill, using the Boobytrap function (Be sure not to throw the grenade at the door your standing 2 feet in front of :) ). I've run into such an abundance that my base has at least 4 screens full in the inventory, and I just expend all I find now except for the best on placing traps.

I get weird sometimes and trap a series of doors, windows, and chests in a house, then fire a shot at it from outside to see how many traps I can get to explode in succession. I've yet to have an entire wall collapse in one chain reaction, but I'm not using the most destructive toys, either.

I spent forever trying to figure out how to raise my Engineer skill without wasting precious lockpicks or probes. Grenades as traps is certainly the way to go. If you want your Grenadier to learn better throwing... Give him some knives. Save the grenades for the Engineer. :wink:

I've adopted them as a way of raising my Engineer skill, using the Boobytrap function

(snip)

I get weird sometimes and trap a series of doors, windows, and chests in a house, then fire a shot at it from outside to see how many traps I can get to explode in succession.

L.A. gained almost 2 full points of Engineering(!) after I trapped the ENTIRE Koch estate, minus the few doors that had been blown off. :) It was purely out of spite; I'd wasted the better part of a week devising a strategy that would get everyone through that mission with all their limbs intact. It was quite a sight from the overhead view, with some places having three big M's overlapping each other where the doors lined up.

I'm wagering that the bigger, nastier explosives - coupled with other well-placed "trigger" explosives, and the Demolition skill - can make a difference in setting off major chain reactions. The abandoned safehouse in some Allied campaigns is a testament to this (though it would be difficult to do that sort of thing inside a building occupied by enemy troops, but you know what I mean).