Apocalypse on DOSBox

Strong Bob

I'm trying to run this game on DOSBox, but I just get a brief blank screen before returning to the standard prompt.

I have the proper drive and destination path mounted, I just can't run the .exe. I can run the setup just fine through windows XP, but I can't run it at all in DOSBox, because it causes my entire computer to crash.

Does anyone else here use DOSBox to play Apocalypse? If so, how do you get the bloody thing to work? I tried the DOSBox official forum, but not only did I see others with the same problem, but their (Including my own) posts were mainly ignored. I've installed the most updated version also, so that can't be the case... Any help?

• 2 weeks later...
Unless your computer is really, really fast, you're not going to be running Apocalypse on Dosbox. It's just not going to happen. And if it does, it'll be running really slowly. You're better off using a combination of VDMSound and Mouse2kv. It's explained pretty well on www.xcomufo.com/x3faq.html.

• 2 weeks later...

Still, nobody has explained the process for running Apocalypse on DOSBox. Was I unclear with that question?

How do I run it with DOSBox? Word for word instructions, because what I'm doing clearly doesn't work. And the people on their website are unresponsive to anyone that asks for it. (It's beginning to seem universal...)

Okay, here's a word for word means of doing so.

Note: I used the CD-Cracked version, even though I own a legitimate copy. THis is due to the fact that I had attempted to run apoc on XP before having DOSBox. Legitimate CD users will need to perform an extra step which I and others using the cracked version do not do. I still believe I could figure out the one step needed and will post it here, but will be labeled as the one I did not test personally.

1) Open DOSBox (.61 preferably. I have the beta .62, which may improve performance, but is much crashier. You could try using .62 beta if you wish, the same steps will work, but the increased performance will be at the cost of bugginess)

2) Hit ctrl-f12 until the 'cpu cycles' measurement in the programs 'title' (you haven't maximized yet, have you?) reads at around 10,000. Maye more, maybe less, this part will vary. But 10K will do for now, and should work.

2.5) Feel free to maximize now. Not needed, but will improve performance.

3) Type 'mount c c:\', and hit enter

3.5) type in 'mount e d:\ -t cdrom', and hit enter (WARNING; this part is the untested one), also, you may have to adjust this based off what the cdrom dive your using is registered with windows as.

4) type in 'cd (insert directory of Apoc here. Must not have spaces in it)', hit enter

5 OPTIONAL) Type in the name of the setup program (Don't remember off the top of my head) and set the sound card to some version of soundblaster, port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1. Test the sound, and if it doesnt work, set it to a different kind of soundblaster. The port, IRQ, and DMA must be like that for sound to work, though

6) type in Apoc.exe (or something like that? The file used to run the game at least)

Should work now. If game is bad in performance, hit ctrl-f12 to raise CPU cycles until it runs well. If you set it too high, you may get choppy sound, or even poor(er?) performance. If that happens, hit ctrl-f12. If you had to do this, use full-screen mode to find the right mix of cpu cycles. You will have to unmaximize it in order to see what your' current cycles are, but DOSBox in general runs better maximized.