Alpine 2.6

Fulby

Get it from the ALPine Website.

General changes:

Simplified the mod wrapper plugin script.

Corrected error in model used in Hostile Humans plugin.

Moved Lua library files to "code" directory.

Updated About box in GUI.

Modified WTD plugin to speed up processing.

Added xtent.lua library by Alchemist.

By far the biggest change is that ALPine should now work on Windows 98 systems (fingers crossed).

A huge thanks to Alchemist for making the Lua code Windows 98 compatible, and for documenting and explaining the changes to enable me to integrate the changed code easily and modify the GUI.

My thanks to both Santiago and Alchemist for testing the various patches I threw at them while working on the compatibility problem.

A clean install of ALPine is advisable for this version. Remove the current ALPine directory then extract the archive to a subdirectory of the UFO directory called "ALPine". Alternatively deleting the files in the ALPine directory (but not deleting the plugins directory) and extracting alpine.zip should work.

Fulby

There's a work-around for this but you may not feel it's worth it. The problem on Win98 (which I assume you're using) is that the command line has a lower character limit than WinXP (which I use and hence developed ALPine on).

Either uninstall UFO and reinstall which a very short path (C:\UFO works), or move and rename the UFO directory and change the registry to point to the new path. The registry key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE

ALTAR

UFOAftermath

Path

I suggest reinstalling unless you know what you're doing regarding the registry, I make not promises that editing that key won't mess something up.

Fulby

Here's a better solution:

ALPine 2.6.1 Patch

Extract this to your ALPine directory, it should replace files.lua in the code directory.

I've also updated the main download with this file.

I just tested this on a Win98 machine with UFO in "C:\UFO" and "C:\Games\UFO Aftermath" and the plugins installed. If your UFO path is longer it may not work on all or some plugins.

Fulby

The version number in the GUI needs to be updated Fulby. It says 2.55 :)

Thanks for the heads up, my version control is mostly based on remembering to change the text :power:

Do you have any indication on how many is downloading/using Alpine?

Unfortunately I haven't, beyond the number of views on ALPine #.# threads giving a general idea.

Still the same error cept mod wrapper is working no i think tried your patch with and without, still FUBARED.

Applying Plugins

Processing * Mod Wrapper...

Processing All Human Equipment...

Error processing: plugins\AHE.lua

Lua Error: code\xtent.lua:69: attempt to index local `list' (a nil value)

Finished processing plugins

If you're still getting that error than the patch hasn't been installed properly. The patch contains a single file "files.lua". It needs to go in the alpine\code directory, replacing a file which is already there.

It may be that "files.lua" was extracted to the ALPine directory, please check to see if it's there.

Alternatively, delete the ALPine directory and download and install ALPine 2.6.1.

Hope this helps,

Fulby

Hmm, I've been thinking Fulby, and Alpine is still too hard to use for the casual gamer. The program itself is fine, but adding new plugins is not. So, is it possible to do as they have done with Freelancer? The ModInstaller there (fan-made) has plugins with their own file format called .flmod. This is just zip files with another extension. Anyway, all you have to do is to double click it to install. Is that possible to do, or too much trouble? We would need Alpine to register a new type of file if so, as a Alpine file.