Flapper, What Weapon?

Aralez

Ok this is just a silly question drifting through my mind: If the flapper would have a weapon, what would it be? What would you "mod in" for this poor guy?

I simply couldn't find ANY weapon which seemed at least a bit realistic.

So, what do you think? A rocketlauncher built in his nose? A plasma vomitter? Some toxic eggs? A 16ton weight? :power:

I have to admit that post inspired me :) I made the Flapper with a short range stunning area covering eagle-like scream (Well pretty complete description, isn't it?) For the sound i used an original eagle-sound and raised the pitch, sounds pretty nice. Now if i only had a volunteer to make it Alpine-compatible (cough, hint, FUlby, hint, cough) :power:

*hands Aralez the lozenges*

cough, splutter use it to make a "how I made my mod ALPine compatible" tutorial splutter, hack, cough, cough, spittle

Do you have a firing effect btw?

I'll make it ALPine compatible if you send it to me or tell me where I can download it :power:

Fulby

No firing effect atm. I din't think a sound would need one. I'll send the files as soon as i tested them with a flapper in a mission (played 2 or 3 hours without ever meeting one). Chryssalid_Victim, you're hereby entitled the mental "father" of this baby, if it's too strong it will be your fault :power:

I don't know anything about modding AM (haven't come around to it yet ??? ) But here are some ideas:

Maybe you should use the AI of an enemy which acts like the armed flapper? Chomper/sporeblower/balloon fish?

Are you sure there isn't some entry where it says that the flapper can't attack? (other than in the AI file)

Should you specify ammo? Or set it to unlimited? Are you sure it's weapon works? Try and give it another weapon or give another transgenant the flapper weapon.

Thats all I can think of, is it any help?

*Adds 'Father of "Flapper of DOOM"' to CV along with

'First Among peeps he knew who've played the game to notice the "PhoeniX-COMpany connection and the fact that the Glossary is filed under "UFOPEDIA" in the VFS file'*

How impressive does that look :power:

Sure as hell beats by honors degree in Chemical Engineering :) (True as well)

Now all we need is for the Flapper of DOOM to live up to its name but I have perfect faith in Alarez *Shakes fist*

MAKE IT WORK!!! :devil:

Hmpf, still no progress, tried everything, gave him the slimethrower weapon, no success, gave him an animationsequence (was missing), no success, gave him time units to shot , no success, replaced his AI, no success, checked the whole gamedata.vfs file for Flapper entries, edited everything with it in it, no success, checked several times for typos, no success,checked for folder-errors, no success. Gave him the fishbomb-weapon, no success. Tried everything deejax said, no success. Screamed at Monitor, no success. Used swearwords, no success.

Argh, help!!!

I tried to create a new mutant by copying the LITTLE_BIRD entry in listofcreature.txt (and the 'n' version) with UNIT_TYPE = MUT_FLAPPER and a weapon entry. Then I edited listofenemies.txt so that MUT_FLAPPER was guaranteed to appear in early missions. I also added a weapon entry copied from the firetick. UFO crashed when loading the tactical mission.

Next I added lines in listofanim_mut.txt copied from the lines for the flapper. I also added new lines in listoftimes.txt for MUT_FLAPPER for everywhere there was a LITTLE_BIRD line plus an entry in the MELEE section. Didn't work.

Over to you Aralez :power:

Fulby

I think the "n"-versions of files aren't used, there are several of them and none of them seemed to do anything...

Oh, well you seem to tried pretty much all i did, too. And still no success :( This is really a flapper of doom, but only for modders :) Now who had this TERRIBLE idea, who we can make responsible for all that, whoooo? :D

Chryssalid_Victim, where are you ?

:power::):)

Ok, i'll take another look at this topic at the weekend, maybe i can find something then.

There are lots of files that arent used, listofphases_* the ~bak -directory, and there are lots of interface-files that have a companion file with the same name plus "-st" at the end, actually, its the "-st"-file thats used. I have a list of unused files, but im not convinced enough that its accurate so i havent released it. perhaps i should..