Ufo:am Reference Documents

Fnurg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game is based on open-gl, not Direct X. The tga-files are regular targa, targa dont have an identifier in the header, but there's still a header, and its at the start of the file. The strings 'TruevisionX-file' that are found near the end of the files are extensions to the format for things such as thumbnails, comments and so on.

// sigget

Btw, i put together an image of the research tree last night. Its horrific really, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone. Ill color-code the types of stuff that influence the progress later and release it... Not sure how im gonna represent all the information, required times and what items are required and so on...

Hi, seems to me most of the 2d images (equipment etc) is 32 bit TGA at least the ones i have run into.

I had some trouble opening them in photoshop 7 but in the 8 it works ok.. i think the ver 7 first read in the rgb channels and then subtracted the alpha ...

QUICK guide:

load the tga you want to mod and save it as psd for reference....

go into channels tab in layer window, then CTRL click the Alpha 1 layer, youll get a marque around the white alpha. Go back to layers tab, make sure background layer is selected and hit CTRL+C (copy) and then CTRL+v (paste). You now have 2 layers, background and Layer 1.

Now remove the background layer (drag it to trash).

create new layer(s) and start pasting, drawing or whatever until happy...

now CTRL+SHIFT clic each layer (this creates a marque around everything in the pic that is painted), go to channelstab again and delete Alpha 1 (drag it to trash)

click on the little arrow on top right of layer window choose new channel.

leave the defaults as is (masked areas, and 50%) click ok.

now go to edit->Fill select white (remember everything Black is not going to show in UFO) in dropdown box and press ok..

you now have a new alpha channel for yor image.

select File->Save as

in the type dropdown select TARGA (tga) option ..alpha channels should be live and ticked.

give yourself a pat on the back and your done ! :rolleyes:

/thanks sigget for the vfs tools!!!

I made a small discovery regarding ammo: Rifles and other firearms use no projectile (in the game), so you can't add explosions to their impact, but there is a workaround: Use a VERY fast rocket projectile! (even if it is invisible). The only drawback on this: You can only fire once with them, this means you have to click multiple time to keep on shooting.

have you tried altering the EFFECT fields in the magazine.txt file?

EFFECT_IMPACT could be set to an explosion, so when the target is hit, an explosion occurs.

aslo you can alter the PROEJTILE field to have some kind of tracer effect :tank:

I've had a quick play around with some of the effect files. pretty easy stuff when using the current effect files as a base for comparison.

Some experimentation is in order i think :rolleyes: