Vfs Extraction Utility

sigget

waldenfan, i can produce an extraction utility now, ive got most of it figured out, some of the h2o's are compressed though and i havent been able to decompress it, it probably was compressed with PKWARE's compression library and im assuming they arent giving that away for free.

These archives are not compressed:

Dialogue.h2o

Movies.h2o

Music.h2o

SoundEffects.h2o

SpeechFX.h2o

TerrainSets.h2o

Textures.h2o

Are you interested in a tool like that?

UPDATE:

I just managed to decompress it! Ill write the tool tomorrow!

Ive managed to extract the h2o-archives, what i think you'll find the most exciting is that the game levels are in the same format used by the editor, so you can now see how they made the levels. The game doesnt seem to read the files directly from disk first before looking in the archives, something that many games do in order to let you add and mod them. Ive looked at disk access logs and the only directory that works this way is Levels, so if you stuff the extracted levels into the Levels\ -folder, you can mod the tutorial- and campaign levels.

Are you still interested?

Wow. Nice job. The extractor worked fine for me and I looked at the levels that I extracted under the rings editor program. I modified them and placed them in the levels folder and they worked fine. You have definitely made it easy to modify the maps/levels. For this you have my eternal gratitude. Now, if you could just figure out a way to modify the units too, we would be well on our way to making multiplayer mods. Should I invest in the pk ware compression utility you mentioned in order to further your progress? (I won't call it our progress since you have done all the work so far.)

One other thing. While looking at the info you posted along with your utility

something dawned upon me. It occurred to me that maybe I should have prefaced my earlier postings here with the admission that I dont know much about the technical aspects of making mods and have no knowledge whatsoever about programming. How your utility works is a mystery to me, but I appreciate it very much.

To be honest i doubt ill be able to insert into these archives. The reason is that they're so tightly linked to the database, and i havent been able to fully understand it yet. And the fileformats of the data files are also in formats that will have to be cracked. A lot of work.

I might spend a little more time on the database formats since i have spent a lot of time on it and dont like the idea that i tried and failed. =)