What do you want from modding tools?

Slaughter

has anyone tried unarchiving the gamedata.vxx file? it's 1.2g, but probably contains all the art and sound into one massive wad file.

will the game engine look for files outside of the gamedata file? I'm sure it must look into the profiles directory where the save data is stored.

yeah, I"m sure if the gamedata.vxx file and savegame files could be unarchived without breaking the game then that would be the best way to mod.

or at least get started, to be able to look in there and see what's in there.

I unpacked the gamedata.vfs-file and it contains all infos, pics, wavs, terrains,videos etc. Most of the info is in plain txt-format. It looks VERY moddable and what's best, it looks EASY to do so. Now if we only had a re-packer , grrrrrrr :rolleyes:

Pleeeeeeeease! Anyone willing to program one ?

Id like to see somthing making it easy to import ur own skins/models (inc equipment screen movies thingy) easily and being able to support multiple file types (meaning a larger of variety of progs can be used to make the skins/models) perhaps by implamenting a file converter into the modding tools to convert the differnet files tpes into what ever UFO:AM uses.

Also the ability to put in ur own voices, and possabily a taut function for any future MP, taunting similiar to UT2003, AVP2, RA2

Good news Frag_Man, the files were (except the terrain files) "normal" file types e.g. bmp, wav, txt, bik-video, etc. The terrain files had a *.kulisa ending, seems to be something "homemade" from the AM producers.

@Siegfried, i don't remember how much gigs were used, i only remember the recycle bin taking some minutes to be emptied afterwards :rolleyes:

Im a kindof map/level editor so il limit my comments to that area as i dont know what im talking about in other areas.

for a level editor:

1. offcourse easily placeable prefabs with editable properties as in "breakable" "see through" "openable". also sound settings when item breaks etc, try looking at the Quake army knife (quark)editor for this.

2. editable square properties (for premade maps offcourse) so we can create covered areas or areas with limited view or movement etc

3. Triggers! as in, if units steps on square 232 then open door 123, break prefab 2424 and display message "you smashed the door" try looking at the starcraft map editor for well made trigger system.

4. ability to make a script for units, so we can create in game cut scenes

5. ability to display text, play sounds, pause game, center screen and control camera, open door, break prefab, activate script etc when certain triggers apply

6: kit to create your own objects and adding textures and properties instead of using premade game objects. quark has this too.

7: ability to specify mission succes or fail status (leave many options open)

9: ability to edit mission briefing

10: ability to set starting position of soldiers

For more geoscape things:

1: easily creating new research and development options, with fields for prerequisites needed etc

2: easy placing of bases and mission with mucho options, with fields for prerequisites of coming available again.

3: easy editing tool for item names specs graphics etc with possibilities to insert new graphics etc.

4: maybe the ability to make a new geosphere? id like one of the moon

5: erm, cant think of much more atm

mucho kudos to altar!

ps: the game has a lot of good textures but i personally think theyre used rather poorly =S so texture related features are a high priority

Map Maker/Editor with ability to add an Indoor aspect, buildings ect.

And if you want to talk about Wish List then I would wish for a 3D addition of some sort!

Thanks again!

Oh yeah.... I forgot some sort of motion detector device, I haven't seen proximity grenades yet(not sure how far I am into the game yet?) And maybe smarter Alien AI......

Oh come on... Its a wish list! :rolleyes: