How do you start in Europ?

MrWhereItsAt

Hi all. My first post - whoo! :blink: Long time lurker, and haven't quite managed to finish the game yet (keep getting distracted with stupid research IRL), but thoroughly enjoy it in between bouts of the first two XCOM games.

I have a question - the whole point of going to all that bother of registering. I have seen in several threads people refer to starting out in Europe, meaning the Russian base mission is easier to get to. Fair enough, but how do you choose to start there? The manual doesn't say anything about it, and I do not see an option anywhere on the start screens for it. So how do you start anywhere except in the US?

Cheers. :b

And starting in Europe makes Area 52, or the Russian base much closer, but it makes Area 51 in Nevada a lot farther away. Tradeoffs.

The nice thing about starting in Europe is that you have a lot more countries or sectors nearby that you can capture more quickly. Your single little chopper doesn't have to do as much flying at the start of the game on average, which some believe makes you get up and going quicker.

Yes, you type in the name of a new 'Game' profile, and then select the Difficulty Level and Starting Location of the new game. The Games are individual folders and then the Saved Games go in that folder that is the name of the Game provided by you when starting a new game profile!

:blink:

• 4 months later...
The nice thing about starting in Europe is that you have a lot more countries or sectors nearby that you can capture more quickly.  Your single little chopper doesn't have to do as much flying at the start of the game on average, which some believe makes you get up and going quicker.

Is that also ture with Asia? I am considering to restart my game, and am looking for some change of scenery; I hate intercontinental chopper rides (where, oh where is my good, old Skyranger?)

Unfortunatly not, the Asian provinces are pretty large so you will have to do a lot of flying. It is also a bit of a hike to the Area-51 mission unless you manage to take Hawaii.

There is a mod that adjusts the chopper speed, although I am not sure where you can get it at the moment as this site isn't fully up and running yet.

There is a mod that adjusts the chopper speed, although I am not sure where you can get it at the moment as this site isn't fully up and running yet.

I haven't added it yet, and I don't know if it's 1.4 compatible. I can add it so you can try if you wish to though Shades of Green.