Pleasantly Surprised

DevinC

Guess maybe I was too much of a cynic, or was too put off by the changes in development and drifting away from the spirit of X-COM but I had thought this game was gonna be pretty bad.

So I avoided it for quite some time, and just picked it up yesterday for nice and cheap figuring I'd enjoy it for at least a little while, enough to justify the price, and I have to say, I was impressed. Wasn't at all as bad as I'd thought it would turn out.

Granted, I've only played for a few hours, but I already wanna get back home and play some more :blink: The SAS system was alot better then I'd thought it would be and I like the soldier advancement system, it's definately cool.

While not an X-COM sequel, it's still a really enjoyable game for me, and I've been wanting a game along the lines of X-COM for a while.

And the mods already out there for UFO (okay, mainly the Rebalance Mod) also add alot.

So call me convinced, I was too quick to judge and missed a really good game for so long, but now I'll be enjoying Aftermath and will probably pick up Aftershock once it comes around :(

Agreed. I can understand that people expecting a sequel to X-Com was put off, but once you see it as a game of it's own with many similarities, it's quite nice. I'd not give it 90%, but it surely doesn't suck. And I think Aftershock may turn out to be quite neat!

Welcome to the board DevinC!

Yes, there is a Spirit to the game!

You are all alone with some squaddies.

They wonder how you became the Leader.

They wonder if they will live!

There are corpses in the streets.

There are mutants growing in the streets.

There are dead cows! (some not quite dead.)

There are burned out buses and trucks, and cars!

There is brush and trees leaves in the way!

There are open fields and strange creatures in the way!

There is a dead Earth, and it is not a Holiday!

:blink:

• 3 weeks later...

After the big dissapointment by apocalypse, i too was reluctant to buy aftermath. x-com tftd was a masterpiece even with those graphics. it is maybe because of the atmosphere of the underwater wolrd or the musics alone were enough to stick you in front of the computer.

Aftermath has the atmosphere (not as much as x-com), and the new 3d real time fighting style is very nice (eventhoug i am a turn based addict). So i am satisfied.

still wish it was underwater ???