voice acting

aenemic

yeah, I think this is worth a thread of its own (even though there seems to be very little posting going on around here).

anyways, I'm really enjoying the game, but s***... the voice acting is a MAJOR turn off. I said this in another thread as well. these are trained tough soldiers. why do they sound like f**king whimps or characters from a cartoon?! the idea with accents is great, but they all sound damn lame now.

so anyways, I want my soldiers to sound like real troopers. if they kill an enemy, they should shout "target down, sir" or something like that. not "I THINK I got him" or "that's one less of them to worry about", sounding like they're reading from a paper and adding their weirdest possible accent.

and when they spot an enemy.... "target in sight" or "enemy spotted" would work great. not "watch out for that Gray"...

the main problem is the tone of their voices. they always sound too damn calm and the accents just make me laugh. I don't really get the feeling that I'm leading a bunch of trained soldiers into combat with alien forces...

does anyone agree, or am I just being silly here?

You could try the voice sample found in the other mods section. Now that I think about it, I should try it myself too :blink:

haha, I downloaded it and listened to the samples.... this time I laughed my ass off in a GOOD way. sure, this definitely doesn't sound like a trained soldier either, but at least it had humour and wasn't annoying. shit.... it was hilarious actually :(

haha, I downloaded it and listened to the samples.... this time I laughed my ass off in a GOOD way. sure, this definitely doesn't sound like a trained soldier either, but at least it had humour and wasn't annoying. shit.... it was hilarious actually :blink:

It's the Jagged Alliance 2 voices if I'm not mistaken :(. Anyway, the voices are REALLY bad, and a mod would be great. Shouldn't be all that hard to make I believe...

Hmm, wonder if anyone will extract the Silent Storm voices and convert them here?

My favourites are Zinaida (after putting a bullet into a Nazi's head, she goes "He vill be silent now, I promise") and that french doctor ("My weapon is naked")

the thing is, I DON'T want any of that comedic stuff. this just isn't the right game for that. it totally ruins the atmosphere. I want my soldiers to be dead serious. not dead. dead serious. and they should sound like they know what they're doing, not like it's the first time they hold a gun. maybe one or two witty remarks when they kill an alien, but that's it...

Hm... wasn't there somewhere mention that malcom is just a lucky survivor? I suppose that most of the armies of the world were wiped out and so we wouldn't have trained soldiers... that doesn't in any way lessen the fact that voices should be better... and have at least some semblance of profesionalism, after all, in combat you don't want to clog the airwaves...

Well, perhaps, after awhile, you may think that they are humorus. When first playing, perhaps, the player is not relaxed. After the player relaxes into the game, I just expect the answers as they come and do not get uptight with them.

Afterall, they don't trust the leader of what they are doing, and the "I been shot" from Malcolm is a good example, as they do not want to be shot because the leader put them in the line of fire. The Earth is ravaged, life is gone, and the result is not fine. Doubt if anyone would care if anyone annoyed anyone on the Earth of what humans are left in the World.

After awhile the squaddies are humorus.

Actually to me they are funny!

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

maybe I've just played too many games where the voice acting was truely horrendous (like spellforce or any silent hill game;p) but I didn't find the voice acting all that bad. Not good or anything per se, but not worth complaining about either ;p

I mean, at least I got 7 different voice-sets with 7 different characters (or at least thats how i remember it!) and could generally tell who was complaining about being shot or what-not just by sound, which is enough to make me happy.

Still of course, I loved the Jagged Alliance voicework, they often genuinely displayed character and personality.

• 2 months later...
Hm... wasn't there somewhere mention that malcom is just a lucky survivor? I suppose that most of the armies of the world were wiped out and so we wouldn't have trained soldiers... that doesn't in any way lessen the fact that voices should be better... and have at least some semblance of profesionalism, after all, in combat you don't want to clog the airwaves...

Actually, I'd have to disagree with that hypothesis. Whilst it's true a lot of soldiers would have died, and there would only be a few left, I think it's very likely that there'd be a higher proportion of military personnel trained pre-Fall than people untrained. (By which I mean, if there were 100 million soliders pre-fall and a billion civvies, 8% of soldiers may have lived whilst only 3% of civvies, for example, NOT that soldiers post-Fall outnumber civilians.)

If you think about it, the people who will A) Know how to survive under difficult situations, B) Be able to control others in said situations and C) Defend themselves against alien/bandit attacks would have the best chance to survive, and many of those people would be military/ex-military. Also, all the important people who ran underground to their bunkers would probably take their bodyguards as well - more tough people, well trained (At least governmental ones. Blair's and Bush's bodyguards aren't going to be nobodies.) I'm pretty sure it'd be Delta Force, the SAS, Navy SEALs and so on who'd have the highest rates of survival.

And in addition, it's pretty likely they'd be assigned to your unit. Phoenix Company wasn't created with just ordinary missions in mind, they're the ones for the toughest jobs. So even if the number of people in the pre-Fall militaries of the world who survived was low, it'd be likely those that did survive would be put into Phoenix Company.

So, it's fine for a few hard-core civilians to be in, but most of them should be pretty professional in my opinion. That isn't to say unfunny, just professional.

Well, that still contends that anyone is actually being unprofessional in a burnt out world, that is like this game-world. Soldiers are not what some people think that they are - and they are real people. I doubt in a burn-out world facing biomass, that even professional soldiers would give a 'da**' what they said, and actually be more inclined to be worse then the Squaddies in UFO:Aftermath. They would just obey the orders, while cursing underneath, to the point of acting like the Squaddies.

Afterall, they are just people in the end, and they expect the Leader (you) to keep them alive, but if they offend you that much, then just turn off the voices.

Afterall, they just might decide that it is you who appear to be some type of alien scum, they do not want around - in the end!

I doubt if anyone alive would insist that there be some kind of structure to even put up with that structure in the first place. Maybe in a populated world, that can be done, but with only a few survivors, I doubt if anyone would actually give a 'rat's a**" if you liked the voices or not!

:blink:

What is it?

Ready!

Theis does not look good!

As humans, they are liable to shot anything that does not act crazy in this game-world!

At least then, you know that they are -- well == human, and not 'alien'!

Even among soldiers there's some kind of levels of professionalism. Most soldiers, especially in third-world states they are only people put in an uniform and given a weapon. It's not right to say they are the same league as for example the Speznaz, SAS, or Seals.

That's why e.g. France most of the times uses the Legion d'etrangere (sp?) in difficult situations. They are simply better disciplined and don't do silly things, that unprofessional soldiers would.

There are other reasons to choose them as well like keeping losses of OFFICIAL soldiers low, no direct connection to country deploying those troops ("That are not our troops, that are private corporations" ) etc.