grenades?!

aenemic

how exactly am I supposed to use a grenade? in the tutorial mission I could at least throw one, but it didn't explode. and now I'm on a mission where I'm supposed to destroy this object so I thought I'd try to blow it up with a grenade. problem is... my guy doesn't even feel like throwing the grenade now. I have it equipped in his hand. and I click the throw button and click where to throw.... nothing happens.... tried attacking also... nothing. help please!

Always place the grenade in the guy's RIGHT hand then use the 'A' button (force fire) and right click on the target area. If you choose throw 'T' button the guy will only toss the grenade without pulling the ring out, thus no explosion.

I think the game's pretty badly programmed with these things... I find it pretty hard to control my soldiers during the missions. harder than it should be.

The game uses somewhat non-standard approach: here RMC means 'action', and I am very used to RMC being 'cancel'. But besides that it's quite OK. Sure beats the old XCOM problem of shooting your own people instead of selecting them. It would happen to me even after months of playing - that was really a bummer!

At least in AM it is possible to cancel all wrong actions before unpausing. Sure usefull when you throw that incendiary granade in the middle of your team instead of moving a guy.

With the mouse it is the top button on the right side, and a popup will say Attack.

Useful when Attacking a square also near an alien with other weapons or a grenade.

Right click where you want the grenade or other weapon to hit.

After getting use to the interface it will become easier and better.

Just remember to give all orders to a squaddie that you want before clicking off and in the order you want the orders.

In and outs of the system will get easier after playing the game for awhile.

I will have to use Throw to see if I can drop ammo that way sometimes, never even thought of that!! :blink:

well, I've been playing pretty much non-stop now over the last day or so and I've really got the hand of it now. it took a while. but now it's all a lot easier. if the game would just stop crashing and giving me error messages every 15 mins I'd enjoy it a lot more though :blink:

but I gotta say, I was pretty disappointed at first... but now I'm definitely hooked. I think they did very well with the geoscape system. the different types of bases, the way intercepting UFO's work, how you can leave missions alone and let other groups take care of them, etc. I also really like the detailed research and development system. it's a lot more intriguing and interesting than the old X-Com games.

my only complaints so far are the graphics and the voices. the voice acting is so god damn bad. honestly. I don't know if they tried making it humorous or something. but I still laugh my ass off almost every time one of my guys say something. and not in a good way. it's really annoying. I don't get the feeling at all that these are tough trained soldiers facing horrible enemies from another world. oh well...

as for the graphics and combat interface - I often feel like I want a better view of the battle field. and at other times my soldiers seem way too small and it's hard to move them exactly where you want them and such. the combat system works well though. this is definitely my favorite type of real time strategy.

oh, and I gotta say I love the music. very good job there. especially the music that is played at the geoscape.

er... this wasn't supposed to turn into a post on my thoughts bout the game. but it did... oh well....