Stat/Skill/Training Changes!

Cap'n Kyth

In Aftermath, being the first of the games, it's really your soldiers' journey that matters rather than the destination of their stats. :) Towards the end, like good old X-COM, specialization ends up dependent on whatever equipment you arm your troops and that's it. Though, I often find that the final tier bio armor and power armor often have a major say in defining the roles of my troops.

Ok, I understand that near the end-game, your soldiers are all going to look basically the same stats-wise. But what about the interim and the period leading up to the end? It takes a while to train troops later on as it requires more and more points to get to the next level in which you can only choose a single area to improve. So if your soldier has really good fighting skills but terrible psi, you'll be waiting a very long time to get the psi category up to a useful level. In this case, there is specialization because the soldier cannot effectively use his lacking combat skills. That's what I was trying to say. :P Does this sound about right?

How did experience get handed out in Aftermath again? I do remember that Aftershock's experience was given at a flat rate to everyone that was present on the map regardless of what they did. That resulted in being able to train up a bunch of inexperienced troops by just sending out a few veterans to mop up the map while the newbies twiddled their thumbs at the starting zone. :)

I think it's the same, but I haven't really checked. My first order of business is to win the game (which is going pretty good so far). :)

- Zombie

That's why I said it's more about the journey, not the destination. Until you hit the point you've gained everything, the fun goes into how you build them up. Can't really recall what preferred path I took. But balancing or specializing can work to your advantage either way.

The game automatically hires new troops for you whether you like it or not, so there's plenty of troops to experiment with. Unfortunately this means spreading the experience quite thin, so perhaps try not to experiment too much. :P

- NKF