information on aliens units

dmlolo

hi all,

i'm a new player and i play now the ufo demo.

i ordered the game and as i'm waiting it i play the demo version.

i try to search in this forums but i don't find answers to this question.

is there a mean to know when you encountered ufo unit if it is a strong unit or a weaker unit ?

how many different unit have the aliens ?

thanks for your help.

best regards

a french fan

There is no way to know if it's a strong enemy besides experience :(. You have to find out for yourself, or ask people here.

As for how many aliens there are, I am not sure. At least 10 types. You will find out when you get the full game that everything isn't as it appears though... :blink:

Oh, and welcome to the board!

There are two families of aliens:

The Reticulans: The true aliens, the prime movers and the real trouble makers. You encounter them on UFOs and alien bases (or when they attack your bases).

The Transgenants: The mutated remains of the earth creatures that got affected by the downfall. They are genetically butchered towards some unknown end. You encounter them in almost all missions (except the missions that belong to Reticulans).

As far as the types of each families, well...

The Reticulans come in three different flavours in terms of armor (and armor vaguely means rank). All of them look the same, but they have shields of varying color around them. The colors signify power/rank. Yellow shield is the Sun Armor, it is stronger against earth weapons and weaker against alien weapons (this is really general information, there are lots of weapon types). The white/blue shield is the Sky Armor, this armor is stronger against alien weapons and weaker against human weapons.

The last shield type is green, the highest rank among them, the Bio Armor. The Bio Armor gives good protection against all damage types as well as psionics.

Reticulans carry a variety of alien weapons, and ultimately, their weapons classify their threat rather than their armor type. I won't go into weapons here because it's better for you to find out yourself.

The transgenants are really wierd creatures, some of them can carry human/alien weapons, some of them use their own natural "weapons" for offense while some do not attack at all. Let me tell you about them in general:

-The humanoid transgenants: These transgenants, while mutated, keep some of their humanoid forms. The important thing about them is that they can carry weapons, so they can use human/alien weapons. If they have no weapons, they can still claw/punch in melee. They are not exactly resistant to anything since they are much like humans.

-Kamikaze transgenants: These transgenants have different types, but their attack is mostly the same: they get close to you and blow up, doing splash dmg. They are mostly resistant to alien weapons.

-Weapon platforms: Some transgenants move slow or do not move at all, and use acid/psionics and sometimes other wierd types of weapons against you. The main thing is that you can't carry them around (they are too big) and they are usually dangerous. They have fast attack speed and sometimes their damage is splash. They are mostly weak against fire and explosions.

thanks for your replies.

i know more about reticuans shields ;)

in the demo, i fight against a "big turtle" and i know that it's better to not let approach this kind of creature. she kill my squad with his thrower flames

:blink:

playing the demo can be instructive also :(

i count the day before having the game...

ok i return on the demo. need to kill some aliens and mutants to have a perfect training before play the campaign.