Sorry, newbie question about research development.

CKresAIX

Hi all,

this is my first post here so please don't kill me immediately if I ask a stupid question or if my English is too bad :blink:

I like the game and played a few hours already. The game time must now be something like March / April... I'm rather curious when the research and development really kick in? I have researched / developed the radar and laser / plasma weapons. Even though I have several PSI weapons recovered I can't research them and the same goes with the energy cells. I just wonder if I'm too stupid or if it really takes that long before the real stuff comes dropping in?

Thanks for your help guys,

Chris

Also, as a further question to the above I remeber something about a teritory with some stragne growth effect... But I don't know where this is ans which mssion I should take. Also, when I play missions where UFO's have landed I cannot enter them. Is this right? I know that it's not possible to enter any other buildings except bases, but why can't I enter UFO's that have landed, especially big ones? I did search the forum a bit but didn't find clear answers.... Sorry, Chris

Regarding research and development, it goes faster the more research/manufacture bases you have. So it will be slow in the beginning, and go faster as you get more bases. You do have a research base, right? :blink: Also worth noting that many of the research objects have requirements in the form of other techs that have to be researched first.

As for entering UFOs, this have to be researched first. Then you can enter them. And the biomass will appear later in the game (the growing thingy). Did that help? If not, I am sure someone else can give you more details. Oh, and welcome to the boards! :(

Hi Slaughter, thx for your reply and welcome:)

Yep, I do have research and development bases (two each) but I can't research anything because I don't have all the requirements. To research the alien power packs I need the dreamland files... But isn't the what I got in the Area 51 mission? I did this already some time ago but nothing happens. I can't research plasma packs because I need the energy packs researched. And still no mission with the biomass... When does all thid kick in and happen? I'm already in May and still nothing... My guys are all level 10 or higher by now and the missions are no real threat... But I still can't take aliens to the bases, or at least they always die. From time to time I get a message that they still don't know how to keep aliens alive and that they are sure the answer lies within one of the Area 51 bases. But where are they...

I started the game unpatched and did aply all the pathes up to 1.3 the day before yesterday. Do I need to start a new game now or can I continue the old game?

Thanks again for your help...

Then that is probably what is wrong. All the changes are not added to the savegames. You should have gotten the dreamland files in Area51. Did you apply the other patches before 1.3?

If you didn't, I suggest you uninstall the patch and game, install the game again, then the patches in order. And then start a new game. It's kind of annoying to have to do so, but I don't think there's another way to do this...

For what it is worth, as a newbie myself, I just did the area 51 mission this morning and all worked well, I got the dreamland files (computer ?) and was able to do parts of the reseach (I like the tech's explaining the importents of being able to understand the Aliens, becuz, once we understand what they are saying, then we can beat the info we want out of them !)

which, I had the patches before I got the game, so I had a fresh patched game before I started

HARD_Sarge

Thx all,

Will do so. Will uninstall game and then patch before starting new game...

A question though. Should I again patch tp 1.3 or only to 1.2 and use the trainer? Is the trainer any good and would you guys recommend it? Untill now i had no problem with the game in terms of difficulty, but was only playing on normal not hard difficulty.

Thanks again for your advise...

Chris :blink:

• 1 month later...