Quick Question...

Tran

Ok, when first I heard about this game, I had to admit....I got pumped. The person telling me about it said that it was another game in the X-Com series. Now, I've looked all over this site and couldn't find mention of that being the case. In fact I see that the original series that this particular game came from was developed by Mythos.....which if I'm not mistaken, X-Com is developed by Microprose. So, what's the verdict guys? Was my contact wrong? If so, it seems to me that this game resembles X-Com alot. If that's the case, I'll more than likely to get it. I'm just curious as to how the gameplay is outside of missions. That was always one of my favorite things....researching, and building facilities and such. Anyhow, thanks for any responses.

:withstupid:

This game is NOT a game in the X-Com series. The story is this:

Mythos, that made the original X-Com game, and Apocalypse, started making Dreamland Chronicles: Freedom Ridge. This game was inspired by the X-Com games, but not a sequel. Sadly, they got canceled for some reason. And thus the project was given to ALTAR. But ALTAR couldn't use the material, and therefore started the game all over, and called it UFO:Aftermath.

UFO:Aftermath is as I said not in the X-Com range of games. It is however inspired by them, and have quite a few similarities. There is research, engineering, squad management, downing UFOs and so on. There are however a good deal of differences too, like no micro management of bases, no money and so on.

If you liked the X-Com games (I sure did!), then I think you'll like this game too. But be aware that the strategic part of this game is less than in the X-Com games. So if you want to enjoy this game, enjoy it's good sides, and don't waste your time complaining about what is not similar to the X-Com games. Most of the people in here like the game a lot, but we all agree that it plays fairly different from the X-Com games. Hope that helped :withstupid:.

Hi,

it does not focus that much on building bases. In X-Com you could design your bases, place different facilities and so on. In Ufo:Aftermath you just have four types of bases: Military, Research, Production and Anti-Biomass. You can switch between those four types which takes 24h. Since you got many more bases in U:A than you had in X-Com you can't manage them all in detail. Personally I liked designing my bases on my on more, but hey - it's a new X-Com(-like) game :withstupid:

Research and developmend are very much alike X-Com.

U:A differs in style from X-Com very much, so maybe you'll be disappointed at first glance as I was. But after playing a while I recognized this game has it's own beauty, but overall it's (imho) not fit to hold a candle to X-Com. Anyway it's great fun.

Hope that helps.

cya,

Beef.