Beat the Biomass

Bromley

We all know the way to do it now - research the repulsors and use Anti-Biomass bases to push it back.

But there's something else that you can do to quickly destroy the Biomass. You'll find that you get alien base missions ("We've found an alien base" rather than "This would make a good site for a base") in the Biomass. You get the other base missions as well, but the alien ones are the interesting ones.

If you undertake a base mission in the Biomass, you lose the base as soon as you get it. If the CoE undertakes an alien base mission in the Biomass, you get to keep it. Switch it to Anti-Biomass and watch your problems go away.

I've not 100% confirmed that you won't get to keep an alien base if you perform the mission, nor have I 100% confirmed that the CoE Transgenant base mission will lead to the base being destroyed. I am 100% sure that a successful CoE mission against an alien base means that you get to keep it, Biomass or no Biomass :withstupid: .

I had CoE troops capture a total of about ten alien bases located on biomass, but usually, they did fall back to the enemy immediately after capture. I got to keep only a single of them, and when I decided to turn it into a repulsor, it only cleared a small circle around itself and otherwise had not much effect, as odd as it may sound. However, I'm sure CoE troops don't usually allow you to keep those bases, either, yet it works on rare occasions. Maybe it's just a bug. :withstupid:

______

rezaf

Ah, damn. There goes my theory. You're sure that all the ones that you lost weren't just normal "Here's a nice sight for a base" missions with transgenants?

Also, I've noticed with the Biomass that there's some that is either not shifting or is going away *very* slowly. It happens to be excatly where I remember first seeing Biomass, so either it's coded not to disappear or it's much, much thicker there. I might test that later tonight.

Yes, I'm sure. In fact, I don't remember getting "nice location" missions on biomass at all.

As for biomass density, I also had to keep the areas where the biomass first started spreading contained with three or four repulsors, because it would never go away entirely. At least not until the end of the game. :withstupid:

______

rezaf

I remember reading in one of the research results that if you destroy a biomass node

the biomass around it resides for a little while.

I got a few missions of "destroy biomass node", but the missions themselves where just

regular "kill everyone" missions, and nothing happened to the biomass after I did these missions.

however, in each of these missions there was a strange alien structure in the middle of

the map but I couldn't destroy it with any of my weapons (though I wasn't carrying

anything too powerful in any of these missions)

Did anyone manage to destroy that structure? or effect the biomass in any other way in these missions?

Rinchwind.

About the Biomass not disappearing from the (in my game) Caspian Sea area (3 times the width of the sea, south to Kuwait and north to above Stalingrad).

It's being kept in place by nodes. I let the game run on last night and the Biomass stayed there forever. Then I reloaded today and got a node mission on the eastern portion of that invincible Biomass. After I won that mission, I noticed that the Biomass seemed to be dissolving. After letting it run on, about half of that unshiftable Biomass went. I was left with two circles, one around Stalingrad and one near Kuwait.

So those node missions do actually do something. You also don't have to blow up the node in the tactical game (presumably you set charges when the area is clear). Once the node is destroyed, the Biomass can be destroyed by nearby Anti-Biomass bases.

• 2 weeks later...

Any base in the Bio Mass will be automatically destroyed if it is not used as a repulser.

You can now switch it to repulser as soon as you win...

Pre Patch..if you did not switch it immediately (To repulser) as soon as you won...and I'm talking seconds here...it would be destroyed.

Read the patch read me...