Squad Setup

Rob88

So, I've just got so far as the Russian base, but not started the mission yet.

I have dscovered that sniper rifles kick arse.

Of my 7 man team,

6 have sniper rifles, 1 has 6 barrel grenade launcher.

Most have one or two medpacks to.

As soon as an alien stcks its head out it gets 6 bulletsin its face, and a grenade in its gut.

Most the time they don't even get a single shot at me.

When they get into a base or UFO they sling their rifles and get out SMGs (purple one?) or shotguns.

I'm guessing at some point the games going to get harder, but for now my setup seems to be working.

Any comments ?

My usual setup at the end of game *some spoilers warning*

2x barret (Neostead in backpack)

2x steyr (mp7 in backpack)

1x rocket spitter with inc rockets (Neostead in backpack)

1x mp7 (loads of ammo and some grenades)

1x psi/warp medic

All members in bio armor except psi expert in improved medium and enchanced psi helmet. Everyone with at least 4 mags for both weapons and usually 1-2 medikits. Medic with backpack full of warp medikits.

I usually switch all people to seconday weapons when clearing bases/alien ships. No plasna/laser weapons used since first contact with sky armored alien.

Seems that in the beggining you're forced to use human weapons, in middle game some alien ones and then back to human weapons again to even stand a chance. Didn't use alien microslug accelrator though as I only got one magazine for it during the whole game lol.

No, you don't NEED to use human weapons, but having at least some eases things down a bit.

My setup in most missions was: 4x Advanced Alien Laser Riftle, 2x Steyr Aug, 1x Rocket Spitter. The stronger "riftlemen" I sometimes backpacked a mp7 for close combat efficency, but in most cases, I found it would only slow them down unneccessarily. Even in most base missions, I'd just find a long corridor and place them in a pattern spread out enough to be not too vulnerable to the rocket-launcher-syndrome. Due to the weak AI of the aliens, it would often work out in the desired way - with the aliens mindlessly rushing into the gunfire. Only PSI sometimes gave me a headache, or too many rocket-launching-greys at once, since even if you gun them down really fast, they always seem to get their first rocket off. At least that was my impression. :withstupid:

Everybody equipped with the best alien armor available (even in the last mission I had only five bioarmors) and medkits (again, only in the last mission could I field 3 warp medkits), the amount depending on the capacity of the soldier in question.

______

rezaf

OK, it was bad statement on my side. Of course you don't need human weapons but let's just face it, nothing works better than some lead (eventually napalm) to make aliens go to sleep faster.

And yes, I tend to carry a bit too much in term of weapons but I prefer moving a little slower and being prepared for everything. And with my soldiers speed dropping from super heroic to 'merely' heroic doesn't bother me much :withstupid:

Last thing, I prefer to spread my men in alien bases to avoit friendly fire after being mind controlled, believe me facing your own man with neostead in small corridor is like having a stampede in your living room.

The setup that worked for me is 3 heavy armoured with gatlin cannons, 3 snipers and a medic with a pdw, I used that setup right to the end(once i got the 3 gat's of course ;) ).The snipers can do the long range stuff and the short to medium the gat's make short work of it.

Inside the alien base i like to keep my squad together because if u get mind control on one of ur squad then the others can drill the mind controller to release them(even with to gat's u can drop any alien in a second or two).

I know they are slow but they make up for it in fire power and it suits my game play style. :withstupid:

Hmmm, maybe there is something to this game after all ;) What I love is players using different tactics to win and succeding (I hate games with one and only proper tactic to do anything).

I hope that heavy armors will be a bit stronger after patching or maybe someone will mod them a little. I'd love to see my heavy armored men cutting through aliens. So far I used heavy armor only once in base defense, quite suicidal but I was satisfied with my rookie (lvl5 while rest was lvl12-14) cutting down 7 aliens before dying (you will be remembered...ummm, what was the name of this soldier seregant? :withstupid: )

Anyone else prefer the G11 (caseless) to the Aug? Seems to have better clip capacity and only slightly less range.

Thanks to whoever posted about the barret sniper weapon, I was using a sniper weap with universal ammo, and noticed much better performance with ammo type = HARD...

I've not had any trouble with the heavy armour(but it was the advanced stuff) it can take a fair amount of crap but the double barrel machine guns and gat cannons dont become available until about midway in the game but when u get them u wont wanna go back, u dont need to deploy them like the other heavy weapons and the damage they do cant be matched by any of the peanut head weapons :withstupid:

oh and rkaye the g11 is alot better that the AUG(IMO), the AUG has more damage but its rof is alot slower, rof is very important, thats one of the reasons the pdw is so good!

Regarding the G11, it makes higher damage than the Steygr due to the higher burst rate of fire. The damage number that matters for any weapon is not the one listed in 'DAMAGE' but the first number in the rps line. e.g.

Weapon 1:

DAMAGE 500/1

250/0.5 rps

Weapon 2:

DAMAGE 300/1

600/2.0 rps

Weapon 2 is better because it makes 600 damage per sec while Weapon 1 makes 250 damage per sec. Hence Weapon 2 should kill an enemy faster all else being the same. This is the reason the MP7 and the Alien Microslug Launcher rock for e.g. :inlove:

Regarding the sniper rifle, I still use the International rifle often because it has more bullets per clip and is about half the weight of Barret. Some of my troops are quite anemic and cannot carry extra stuff in the backpack when using the Barret. :withstupid: