Newbie to UFO: AM

quasarstrider

Hello folks! Just started playing. ;)

It seemed to go pretty smoothly at first, but by the 2nd mission the aliens had MGs. Tried to conquer a base on my 3rd mission but there were like 6 aliens with G36, FAL, J-something, not to mention the others lingering around! ??? Still I pushed through with my 3 guys with 2 nasty Shotguns, 1 Uzi SMG and a couple of hand grenades. Wasted two entire medikits and my guys were using heavy armor and helmets!

Then I enter the base and get totally creamed in a crossfire by some 4 aliens armed with MGs. Reloaded. Creamed again. After getting creamed some 5 times I gave up that mission. ;)

My guys get back to base, just to find it was being invaded! Oh boy. I equip them, start the mission... Some 5-6 red aliens with shields and laser pistols cream me and I can only kill one or two wasting some G36, FAL and Uzi clips. I try the mission again, this time with my 3 guys having 6 hand grenades each. Since they seem to enter by the access lift, like in X-COM, I race towards it and lob some 7 grenades at them. They die. Yay! :withstupid:

For someone who won X-COM 1 & 2 on SuperHuman level a bunch of times, this was just too much for me. My wrist was hurting from the experience. Ouch.

Only then I remembered to read the FAQ in here. Then I notice the "Default profile is set to Hard" FAQ entry. ;)

I start a new game on easy, to find I seem to be able to conquer a base with two guys without any body armor using a Shotgun and an Uzi. :D

Please forgive me while I bang my head against the wall. :crazy:

They are nice at close quarters against soft skinned enemies.

They do a lot of damage (500 IIRC). In the beggining of the game I could kill an alien just with 1 or 2 shotguns firing at him once or twice.

But if an alien has a MG and you are out of range, you are creamed. Unless your men are hard enough to come close and cream him.