To buy or not to buy?

The Veteran

Hey I'm alive! And I find that after all this time of absense I'm still the fourth highest poster on the site... It's quite worrying! Especially as one of them is Warlord... :dontgetit:

Anyway hi to anyone who doesn't frequent the XCom forums (but definitely should) and greetings also to my XTC buddies :inlove:

I went into town to buy Aftermath today and just my luck they didn't have it... I can't really afford it either so the fact that I'll have to now travel to 'Boro to get it makes it a lot of effort (for someone as lazy as me)

So I want to know from all of the people who already own the game why it's a good buy. What are the good bits. What are the great bits. What are the averagely middley inbetweeny bits. And what just plain sucks...

I'll no doubt end up buying it either way because I've been waiting for it for months but some feedback would certainly help!

Well Vettie, don't just buy it because hundreds of people love it already... Wait for the release of the demo if you're not sure.

Just bear in mind that it's a game that doesn't look like it'll excite the pants off you from the beginning (and it doesn't look majorly exciting at the beginning), but controlling one squad and choosing which attributes they should progress with when they level up is cool, the tech tree (although it has one or two bugs) is fairly logical and often only requires two or three of the requirements for you to research an item... the research uncovers a plot so much more vast in scope than any of the X-COM games alone (I won't spoil it by going into details) and if you really get into it you'll be wondering like myself what they're thinking of doing for a sequel - I've got loads of great ideas :D

Erm... yeah, the interceptions are alright, but you have less control over which base you intercept from (the game picks the closest) there's no base layout design, though that's no big shame when you're controlling over fifty bases by the time you're reaching the end of the game, the three difficulty settings are quite hard, though despite people saying they're too hard, teh only force you to make changes in your tactics and use of technology as th game progresses to keep up with the aliens (who almost always have the upper hand in the game).

Erm... Yeah, the storyline is so cool with lots of references to stuff in current UFO folklore to immerse the players more into the game and give it what so many other games failt at - a great atmosphere.

The music gets a little repetitive after 50+ hors of play, but then that's natural, and it's suitably atmospheric too. There's blood splattering from the aliens and your men when they get shot.

The animation of units is undeniably cool - guys will even lean around objects or each other to get better shots at the enemy and show why there is no stupid unintentional "friendly-fire" in the game - well.. not as much as in X-COM... you really have to try to shoot your own men in this game as they won't stupidly miss and give their mates a shot in the back of the head for good luck :withstupid:.

Erm... I could go on, but if you're a little unsure then see what the demo is like... though I doubt the demo could possibly do the game justice!

Good to see you back in action ;)

Goddamnit Crapgame is that all you've tried?

HOW old are you?? Have you even an Idea what Xcom is?

Its not about Graphics its about Gameplay and Strategy unlike most PSX owning kiddies it USED to count for something with gamers.

-Telk

No you are right its not about graphics its about gameplay and its thats not too good in this game.

the early ufo games and jagged alliance games really rocks, well made games last forever this game wont.

"crapgame" has been banned from all sites and forums across my network for flagrantly abusing forum rules and privileges, signing up with an unacceptable member name, altering his e-mail account after sign-up to something very pro-terrorism and anti-american, thusly providing a false method of contact, spamming, shooting the game down without much in the way of reason...

You can click on his member title and view the full list of posts made by this user to see more of why action was neccessary.

Should crapgame wish to switch IP or even attempt to re-enter the forums to do the same, his ISP will be contacted and notified of his actions.

I think I'm running out of stuff to say, and some of the above isn't in the forum rules (yet), so anyone who wishes to comment on my decision can feel free to send me a personal message (without fear of similar action naturally :withstupid:).

Topic will remain open, as the majority of posts are still on-topic.