some problems with XP

holman

im not a noob to this game (heck, ive had it since it came out) and i just installed it on my PC but it wont play propely. the sounds are all choppy, and the missions stuff up, like i play my first mission and pass it, but when i go to play a second mission, i click outside the ship, and the level quits and takes me to the results screen like i just passed the level, and i get the Exactly the same results as i did for the last level i played, and it just keeps on happening level after level.

any ideas?

Windows XP pro

Pentium II 330mhz

Radeon VE 7000 series

Creative Labs Vibra 128 sound card

Apart from the sound issue, your other problem is not an XP problem in particular. That's a problem with the game in general. It seems to happen to most players once in a while.

I'm assuming that you're using the original dos version, as it attempts to continue after the crash rather than exit straight to the operating system.

There's no specific answer to this problem, but there are a number of workarounds you can try to see if it eliminates your problem.

Couldn't remember where we last had a similar discussion.. oh well, I'll just list some possible solutions again. Keep in mind that these have worked for some, but not everyone.

• Reinstall the game or install a second copy of the game in a different directory or hard drive. Don't forget to backup the savegame files, just incase. If one is giving you trouble, load up the other.
  • Always save in the Geoscape first. If you must save in the battlescape, save only after you've successfully moved at least one soldier out of the Skyranger.
  • Restart the game and try again. If this doesn't work, restart the computer.
  • If all else fails, buy the collectors edition. The collectors edition also has the same problem, but it crashes back to the desktop rather than continue where you left off.
  • Try and walk down the right side of the ramp and do not touch the left side of the ramp (it's right after the equipment pile).
  • Pray that the problem just goes away after a while. This seems to have the best success rate compared with any of the above, with the exception of restarting the game/computer. :D

Since you're using the dos version, you could also try deleting the files in the missdat directory. With these files gone, you won't get the results from the last mission. Hopefully if it crashes again, it may stop after that. But I'd suggest trying some of the above first.

I think that's the lot of them... can't remember any of the others.

- NKF

P. S: I'm sorry that I could not provide any definite solutions. If none of these work, don't worry, just hang in there. You managed to play one mission, so you will be able to get it running, somehow. Just Keep fiddling around until it works.

You will rarely encounter this crash with the collector's edition. Most people who have reported having the same crash with the CE eventually realized they were running the dos version.... so really, the only way to avoid the bug with be the get the CE, especialyl since you say it happens 'everytime'.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
im not a noob to this game (heck, ive had it since it came out) and i just installed it on my PC but it wont play propely. the sounds are all choppy, and the missions stuff up, like i play my first mission and pass it, but when i go to play a second mission, i click outside the ship, and the level quits and takes me to the results screen like i just passed the level, and i get the Exactly the same results as i did for the last level i played, and it just keeps on happening level after level.

any ideas?

Windows XP pro

Pentium II 330mhz

Radeon VE 7000 series

Creative Labs Vibra 128 sound card

Who cares, u win the missiom without doing anything, just make sure the first mission is done well. :D

• 1 month later...