Memory Error

Xracer

Hello

I have just gotten UFO AM, I am an old fan of XCOM UFO, TFTD and even Apoc. and figure i will give this a try. I installed the game and was doing rather well it is just my third mission. the game crashed and i recieved this error.

The instruction at "0x695b22c0" referenced memory at "0x00000020". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

I would like to hear if anyone has any explantion of a fix for it.

I have a P4 at 2.4Gh

256 of Memory and enough hard drive space incase is a virtual memory error.

My video card is an Nvidia GeFOrce Ti 4400 with 128 Mb

If nay other information is rewuired please let me know

Xracer

There have been 3 patches released, since you just got it i assume you havent installed them. And they do fix a lot of problems, so they might just have fixed this one. You'll have to get the 1.2 patch and then apply the 1.2->1.3 patch. And btw, dont cancel the patching program, cause that will mess it up and you'll have to reinstall the game. Hope this helps!

yes, i realized that there are 3 patches for this game i was playing with 1.2 then i dowloaded 1.3 and installed also, but there is no change in the game, it runs for about 30 min, then the system crashes, and from there the game won't load again not even the intro sequence.

Maybe is something wrong with my comp, i have checked but everythign seems to be the way is supposed to be.

I have no hardware conflict and all my hardware is installed properly, and you know is funny, that i realized once i start playing the game the system speaker, not your sound system, starts going crazy on me, it beeps about twice every second :laugh:

just like when you have a memory error when the system boots up

Crazy computers!!!

Thanks for your reply.

hi,

i have the same problem.

using an old voodoo5 5500.

maybe it is about the way, the graics card allocates its memory...

the voodoo5 or example has a total of 64Mb, 32 for each chip.

and some games recognize it as a 32Mb card.

Maybe UFO does the same and writes the info in the memory of chip 1 and then later tries to read from chip2....

just a theory... but if it is the case,

there would be 2 ways of fixing it...

1.a patch for the game (i know... lame solution)

2.a driver for the card that manages wit that problem....

i tried some setting with 3dAnalyze... without any success...

and also tried to copy some of my opengl.dll's into the game directory

(it actually worked with jedi academy)

by the way... if you ever have problems with directx, email me,

i got a nice directx "uninstaller"

(under Xp it replaces newer versions with the original 8.1)

thanks,

well i did the most logical thing, save the game that i had put it into a Cd installed the game on my laptop and from there on, it has just been an alien massacre.

I still do not see why would the system will allocate the memory improperly, maybe is just a subroutine of the program that goes out of boundry,:laugh: i don't know software but i work with hardware a bit, in anycase maybe is just a bad arch of the video card or something they left out, because in my laptop the game runs fine a bit slow since is an older system but it runs with no problems