Desktop icon vs. cd game loading

SerAris

When I load the game from the desktop icon, everything goes smoothly except occasionally, my video goes nuts (flicker) See below.

When I close the tray of my CD and autorun, I get the setup window and two things happen:

1. Zone Alarm asks me if I want to enable explorer.exe.

a. If I say "yes", I get "Assert_Fatal" errors. (I have recorded the details, if needed)

b. If I say "no", I load the setup window OK. So that's what I do.

(This problem doesn't come up when I load from the desktop.)

Question: what is the function of explorer.exe

2. Whenever I check my refresh rate, it's ALWAYS shows 90mhz. I select 60mhz and play the game. Two questions:

a. Why doesn't my 60mhz selection become the default, so I would see that each time I open setup, video settings, with the CD loading?

b. Do you think my refresh rate stays at 60 when I open with the desktop icon, or is it defaulting to 90, thereby giving me my occasional flicker probs?

Best wishes, SerAris

Autoplay is a feature of explorer.exe, thats probably why you're getting that message.

Once when i left the game running at the main menu while watching television for a long time it flickered like crazy when i returned. Could have been caused by a screen saver been activated, but i doubt it. This is a bug.

Flickering from 60 hz doesnt seem likely, although i get terrible headachs from 60 hz screens.