DX9

Win98SE

1.2Ghz

416Mb RAM

40gig HDD

CDRW

DVD

Geforce 2 MX (32MB)

The problem that I've encounted is that for some reason, unknown to me, however it seems linked with either new missions and/or the geoscape popup message. The first time this occured, a new mission had just appeared near the north pole, at which point my geoscape rotated itself to directly over the north pole. When I tried to rotate back to where I wanted to look at (US) it rotated back, and this happened, the game seemed to play as normal, just that I couldn't rotate it without the globe returning to the north pole.

*However* whenever I captured a new base I gained no new technology, so whether this is related to the geoscape bug or not I can't say.

Next day the problem seemed to repeat itself, I wasn't paying much attention, but a message came up (possibly about a new mission, and then the same problem appeared but this time my geoscape was rotating to the south pole and if I tried to rotate anywhere else it would just rotate back. At which point I saved and quitted the game.

The problem seems to go away when I quit the game (saving it), but I havn't the foggiest as to whats causing the problem. The only thing I can think that might vaguely affect the game is the fact that I've got a snazzy Belkin Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, but I can'tthink how it might affect the game (drivers perhaps? none of the keys are sticky or anythng like that and the mouse isn't anywhere near the edge of the screen etc...)

So any clue asw to the cause of this bug? :laugh: thanks, and if you need any extra info then just ask

I think the global spin is just a variation of my problem.

I think the problem is related some how to my holding down the down arrow key for too long, why that is significant I'm not too sure. However I've found that sometimes when I switch to a none geoscape view (Glossary, Squad, R&D etc) and then return to the view normal service has resumed, also when press the 'Connect' buttons on my keyboard and the receiver the problem also seems to go away, presumably because the connect is reset. I'll have a play around later today to see what I'm doing at the time and if my solutions do work.

This sounds somewhat similar to my problem with my mouse in windows sometimes.

My PC sometimes stops for half a second (or less) and when I regain control the left mouse button thinks it's the right button.

Result being everthing I click on brings up the right button context menu. I've had this on various PCs and mouse types. To fix it I have to right click somewhere to bring up the context menu as normal and the buttons sort themselves out.

I've also had the same problem with the control key on the keyboards at work running Win98. Windows thinking the control key is permintly down when it's not. Simple tap of the control key sorts it out.

Maybe something similar is happening in the game? (or to windows while your in the game?)

This could be a windows problem not a game problem.

Hmm...not to sure about that, as I've never encountered a similar problem outside of the game, that said I could be that something in windows is affecting the game...but no, the problem seems to be with the geoscape, especially when I press the arrow keys for a prolonged period.

But I'll keep an eye for that sort of a problem just in case I am wrongth.

Do not know if what you are experiencing is something different, but:

When you are holding down one (or more than one) of the rotation keys and a messege suddenly pops up (new mission, squad trained/healed, base/items captured, etc...), after you close the messege, the game thinks you are still pressing the rotation keys (thus you get the infinite rotation towards north, south, east, west, etc...). The solution is simple: press those rotation keys for a few seconds and release them. This solves the problem of infinite rotation.

Your bug sounds like something else though...