Editing Apoc Soldier Graphics

N4rF

Ok, so I know how to edit the equip stuff, some of the aliens, ect... but I want to modify the actual x-com soldiers. The animation, make them look different. I only really wanted to edit one group of armors to be represented differently in the tactical screen. I may eventually want to go further with this, but i was mainly wondering if its possible first.

Reiterated, how can i export the animation pcx's to edit them? pckmanip does not work with these files... says "cannot decode" or something like that, much like its description in the bugs section of the info.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Apocalypse's pck format is apparently slightly different from the one used in UFO and TFTD.

If you can get the XED editor running on your machine, you can use it to view and extract frames from the game's various .pck files. However, I don't recall if you can use it to import frames.

There are some rather interesting sprites that are unused. Like a gold android civilian with a head that appears to swivel independantly, and a few 'armoured' sprites for the gangs and cult of sirius.

- NKF

Well, this site here has a program called pckmanip which lets you examine all the pcx files in a pck archive:

https://www.dwcs.net/xcom3/humans/downloads.html

I can't get XED to work, but this pckmanip program runs pretty smooth (dos).

I don't know which file holds the soldier animation frames though.

My problem is once I extract a pcx, I can convert to bmp and edit, but I can't convert BACK to a pcx ;(

Can you help me with a utility to convert pcx to bmp and back?

bif

well to answer you concern about bmp to pcx, you can do this with photoshop if you have this available. I think there is a free version which will allow you to convert files as you need... search around using google, shouldn't be hard.

As for pckmanip, as in my first post here, I stated pckmanip will not decode the x-com soldier pck's which are in tacdata... i have no idea why, it just says "cannot decode" or something to that effect. I am looking to find another possibility to get around this if i can. Thanks anyway for your effort.

• 3 weeks later...