How to mod SS2/SS3 in 2023?

JohnStorm

Hello Everyone!

Silent Storm and it's expansion Sentinels are some of my favorite games of all time. And with all the games that I love I enjoy dabbling in whatever sort of modding there is for these games. However, after a week and trial and error with trying to get the MapEditor tool to run i've run into a roadblock. 

SS2/3's editor requires an old SQL server to be able to run and do it's thing. A MSDE Server that's now way deprecated and will just straight up not work on any form of modern windows os's.

My question is, is there any way to mod and get the editor to run on a Modern Computer? ( I'm using a steam copy of the game btw. ). And if so, what is needed to be done in order to do so? I've been dying to mod this game since it's one of my all time favorites.

Thank you!

-John

Hello.👋

Using SQL Server 2008 seems to be an alternative to MSDE to some extent (although sometimes it doesn't work very well).

There are clues in the Steam guide below and in its comments section. In my case, I was able to launch the editor by adding an empty password setting as Duchess of Kvetch said in his comment.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=264610239

On 8/21/2023 at 11:11 PM, Satojomov said:

Hello.👋

Using SQL Server 2008 seems to be an alternative to MSDE to some extent (although sometimes it doesn't work very well).

There are clues in the Steam guide below and in its comments section. In my case, I was able to launch the editor by adding an empty password setting as Duchess of Kvetch said in his comment.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=264610239

Thank you for the tip! I did a bit of digging and found an install for the MSDE server that silent storm uses in particular, I tried to install it a couple times even though windows didn't want me to and managed to get it to install and it worked! I've been able to create and build mods without any problems with the editor even on windows 10.