Query: X-COM: Interceptor Fanfic?

Spaceman42

Ah, yes. The somewhat neglected [at least fiction-wise] sister of the classic squad-based games [to wit, UFO Defense, Terror From The Deep and Apocalypse], Interceptor *has*, nonetheless, personnel who fly out from the X-COM bases and get themselves killed by Aerons flying Spectres / Mutons flying Wraiths / whatever. It'd be interesting to see what kind of stuff goes on on the Frontier, out on those X-COM bases so far from Earth - and so distant from the action of Apocalypse, happening more-or-less simultaneously... Maybe some of the pilots even *came* from MegaPrimus, and were injured too badly in combat to continue fully *physical* ops...

Any takers?

Well, most soldiers tend not to be pilots, and in the Apoc world, virtually any injury can be healed by nanobots, and if it can't, it can be replaced with cybernetics. But otherwise, it sounds like a good idea. I haven't played Interceptor, though, flight sims aren't my thing.

It would certainly be worth further thought. :D

Note that it wouldn't be obligatory to do just pilots. We could also invent that there were X-Com assault ships that took over alien bases and could roleplay the soldiers there,... but that's only if you don't want to go hardcore Interceptor. ;)

I thought several times about it but never thought it would take off as an idea... Obviously I was wrong! I'd love to write in one but I'd have to reread my Apocalypse posts... I've got an XCom family timeline throughout the ages and I would have to get it straight before I posted in an interceptor fic.

I think it runs along the lines of,

UFO:Trigger,

civilian child

TFTD:unnamed

civilian child

'Ceptor:unnamed

civilian child

Apoc: Trigger

So you see my point... :D

One nitpick though... Interceptor happened in 2067, Apocalypse wasn't until 2084...

It did indeed. But this was simply for reforresting the planet. At the time of interceptor, all that was really happening was that the old capital cities, London nooo :D , were torn down to make way for new manmade forests to return the planet's atmosphere to it's previous state...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I wouldn't mind joining both an Interceptor one and the Apocalypse one, though I'd need to think up some characters first.

As for the stuff on Int, I'd say base it on what's in game to a degree, but maybe up the craft per hanger to 5 and let the pilots customise their craft from what's in stores? I think there ought to be some changes from the in game stuff to the fic stuff, but not too many more, I'll go hunt out my copy of the X-Com Interceptor Strategy Guide and scout through it, see what I think actually might work better in fic with a few tweaks tomorrow.

Also, remember in the X-Com Apoc manual it mentions the 3rd Alien War taking place in outer space? That's Interceptor. It was made after Apoc, but set in that war that they hadn't accounted for as a game in Apoc's background info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the basic storyline is in an appropriately named topic here somewhere, I've just this second visited it so it'll be up as a new topic when you check here again.

You should totally crack on with the apoc fic, noone else seems to be doing it atm! I haven't checked it recently but I did see a new post in the character profiles just now... If that's you bravo, and if it's not... do it now :(