The return of the Question

Bomb Bloke

Long time since this poll has been up, so I thought I'd revive it.

When I had the demo, I played one round of Apocalypse using turn based. Ever since that game, I have *always* played real time. Not because I didn't like turn based mode; in Apocalypse, real time just seemed so much better that there was no turning back.

Of course, I can't imagine playing the two earlier games any other way then turn based.

Anyhoo, state your prefs. :blink:

I like real time, because you have more control of what happens. Whenever I played turn based, I was often hit with immense ulcer inducing frustration at how soldiers would randomly move into different tiles and such. In my experience in turn based, I was often forced to use up all my turn units in one turn, just so my soldiers wouldn't walk up to the aliens and strafe left and right a few times only to get shot at point blank. It makes the whole "reaction shot" dealie totally useless and cover becomes a pain to try to use.

Too buggy...

In real time, they don't seem to do that at all. Not only that, it's got the feature akin to Baldur's Gate, where you can pause at any time you want. Meaning it's practically turn based either way. You don't lose any strategizing element because you can still pause and think up a good infiltration method on a given mission. But mainly, I pick real time because my soldiers won't act like mindless and irrational idiots.

TB is stupid in apoc. they spent to much time in developing real time, which isn't a bad thing mind you, but if we were to use the chess piece analogy from the older xcoms, it's as if the pieces block themselves and move back and forth over and over again....i mean, they do that sometimes in RT, but at least i can stop them. in TB, they jst waste TU's...and yes, UFO and TFTD can not be played any other way but TB.

is that raped and in "rap" and then "ed", or "raped"? lol andway, i used to play TB early on, cuz i just borrowed it off a friend, and there was no manual. i have to learn it all from scratch! :blink: i relised that sometimes i could move at the same time as the aliens, and sometimes there were these numbers that showed how much i could move. soon, i stuck with RT, cuz those brainsuckers were a real menice.

I go turn-based for sure. I think it is more strategic, and RT isn't X-COM, in my opinion. I do use real time every once and a while when it's later in the game and there's just a few Anthropods in a building. Get's the mission done faster. But for serious missions I always use TB.

Ditto. In turn-based I always wind up losing fewer guys, because I can micromanage them effectively. I just have to remember to turn aggressive mode on, and finish the turn with either a droid or a dude lying down in front, so they don't get brainsucked.

In real-time, they either run around like headless chickens and ignore my orders, or stand still and ignore my orders.

I find the RT AI stands up to a lot of modern day AI in games.

And I feel that the X-Com real time mode does not decrease the amount of micromanaging that you can do effectively :blink:

we're not talking RT like C&C is, it's RT that goes at half normal speed most of the time, and half of that time is paused :)