Celatid attack damage.

silencer_pl

No, I am, indeed, thinking of celatids. Just couldn't remember which side was which.

Given how dangerous their attack is, and that they are capable of limited range only, best policy is to wipe them out on sight and prevent them closing the distance, just like deep ones in TFTD.,

Its bad enough coming into contact with (strong, or HF) acids in the first place. Having a giant floating evil kidney SPIT it in your face, well damned if thats not just adding insult (and a retaliatory blaster shell probably) to injury. At least LAST time it was my own fault (the acid not the up close encounter of the organ-'o-licious facemelting kind, and no, thankfully it wasn't HF...stuff gives me the fucking creeps, although in my defense entirely justifiably)

I tend to use the alien grenades a lot against celatids. They are pretty physically weak and can't take much before dying, they can just dish it out pretty well, crappy accuracy as I remember from the old UFO defense, can't comment on what they are like in openXcom because while yes I've come up against a few of them they haven't had the chance to attack much, although when they have then its been a fatal attack most of the time, don't forget they are meant to be able to burn through UFO hulls like a round from a blaster launcher,albeit not so easily and without there being a blast wave to take out targets on the far side of the wall. So since redownloading UFO and installing

openXcom the only times I've seen them get to take any actions has been attacking usually reaction fire from close up after getting surprised or blundering into a celatid. So its been a fair while since actually getting to see one move, and then they never seemed capable of reaction fire. Although neither do deep ones either. If they CAN then their reactions must be terrible.

No, I am, indeed, thinking of celatids. Just couldn't remember which side was which.

Given how dangerous their attack is, and that they are capable of limited range only, best policy is to wipe them out on sight and prevent them closing the distance, just like deep ones in TFTD.,

Its bad enough coming into contact with (strong, or HF) acids in the first place. Having a giant floating evil kidney SPIT it in your face, well damned if thats not just adding insult (and a retaliatory blaster shell probably) to injury. At least LAST time it was my own fault (the acid not the up close encounter of the organ-'o-licious facemelting kind, and no, thankfully it wasn't HF...stuff gives me the fucking creeps, although in my defense entirely justifiably)

I tend to use the alien grenades a lot against celatids. They are pretty physically weak and can't take much before dying, they can just dish it out pretty well, crappy accuracy as I remember from the old UFO defense, can't comment on what they are like in openXcom because while yes I've come up against a few of them they haven't had the chance to attack much, although when they have then its been a fatal attack most of the time, don't forget they are meant to be able to burn through UFO hulls like a round from a blaster launcher,albeit not so easily and without there being a blast wave to take out targets on the far side of the wall. So since redownloading UFO and installing

openXcom the only times I've seen them get to take any actions has been attacking usually reaction fire from close up after getting surprised or blundering into a celatid. So its been a fair while since actually getting to see one move, and then they never seemed capable of reaction fire. Although neither do deep ones either. If they CAN then their reactions must be terrible.

• 3 weeks later...
I've just noticed something, alien base mission, soldier just took two hits (and SURVIVED! from a celatid in one of those maze-like garden things. Celatid was floating on top of the rock formations, some distance back and at first could not be seen. But the second X-com turn had my soldier react with extreme prejudice and take the celatid over. MC, got the bugger, used it to hit a muton. While their snap shot (in openXcom,it can now be confirmed they do NOT have autofire capacity. Snap and aimed only.This particular individual has an accuracy stat of 106, and the accuracy of its actual aimed shot is 116, So with its aimed shot, it will not miss, due to the fact it can take full advantage of that accuracy stat and of the inherent accuracy of the weapon itself, because it CAN only ever fire from a close range, so in effect its an extremely accurate alien sniper limited to the use of a close range but highly accurate weapon. Taking an aimed shot those things can in terms of accuracy, best my most experienced elite sniper taking a shot from a kneeling position, with.the other hand clear, crouched down on top of the skyranger; whilst he aims at a target WAY beyond visual range. Said sniper ISN;T a psyker, not as such although I have had him, in an absolute emergency when he hadn't the time to both travel to a point establishing line of sight and shoot a heavy weapon, be tossed a psi-amp and use that to panic a targetOh and I've noticed something, just because someone said that you can easily tell which way a celatid is facing, at least in openXcom, you can't. I tried, MC'ed one, took it over and no matter which way I made it 'look' the sprite did not change from the point of view of the soldier that had it under their control. One still sees the front of it, with the frontal crease along the 'kidney' facing towards the screen in a downwards direction, doesn't make a difference which way one points the celatid's 'view' it still appears the same onscreen, only its line of sight changes.