Oozing Evolution

Thorondor

Hi, Berek.

Keep in mind you're dealing with a bunch of jaded veterans here at StrategyCore for the most part. Which also tend to just contentedly lurk. wink.png

It's not so easy to impress this crowd and quite a few are bound to default to 'been there, done that' (not without reason at times). In the RTS segment no doubt many, like me, played everything from golden oldies like the original Warcraft and Warcraft II, Dune II, Dark Colony, Dark Reign, KKND, Total Annihilation, C&C, Ground Control, and more.

For instance, when seeing your Goo units form into 'standard' units their design somehow reminded me of a faction from a rather obscure EIDOS Interactive title from 1997, named 'Conquest Earth - First Encounter' in which humans fight the Jovians (you can check out a little preview that talked about them at the time here).

As impressions go and stuff of particular interest I'd actually have to single out the environs.

They seem to have received a good deal of care and attention, even at this point, which gives the world a good measure of personality, and if terrain is indeed made integral and relevant to gameplay (as hinted by the ambush mechanics and transposing seemingly insurpassable terrain) it can be yet another step towards granting actual character to the game.

Other more general observations:

- it must be registered that there are really detailed animations on the Beta units and structures. Pretty cool to look at by and large, but note also some evidence of 'moonwalking' on occasion (that sense of units seemingly slipping, not in fact connecting with the terrain beneath them), which you might want to address as it detracts from the tangibility/believability of terrain itself.

- for an extremely aggressive faction, the Goo units themselves (if not the larger mother protean forms) are really not giving off that vibe to me for the most part. They are generally rubbery, 'blobby', which I suppose you could say is to be expected or fitting given their supposed 'nano-soup' nature, but that roundish look (with the possible exception of the spidery one with pointy legs) and the fact they seem to move in a rather morose fashion detracts from their intended perception of a faction greatly bent on flexible offense and geared towards striking.

In my humble opinion, they need extra 'edge' and menace to transpire because players drawn to that playstyle will want their units to echo that stance of their own.

- I give good marks to the UI for both the Human and Beta factions. They're looking good, functional and, just as important, fit their factions. I'm afraid I can't say the same of the Goo UI, though, as it currently has a pasticky feel which actually loooks, well, 'cheap' and somehow dated even, if you pardon my bluntness. My advice, if you care for any, would be to make it fluid/semi-liquid in an encroaching way, not solid. You know, sort of like a substance oozing onto that lower part of the screen.

Additionally, I'd have to further deduct points in the Goo's UI for how much the gauges, icons and font outright scream human-made. I could be looking at a car dashboard and see very similar things, which ruins flavour.

I do realize some of this is inevitably placeholder stuff, but be mindful you really should rethink and revamp this to elevate it to a higher standard and make it more appealing and in-character for the player.

::

That should be quite enough of unflinchingly direct feedback on my behalf for now, I think. wink.png

Hey guys! We're running another t-shirt giveaway for our forum posters:

https://www.greybox.com/greygoo/en/forum/topic/266/

Unfortunately, we still have to keep it within the United States and Canada, but I'm hoping this helps reach some more of you that were interested in the previous giveaway:

Let me know if you have any questions!

- Berek

A

Hi, Berek.

Keep in mind you're dealing with a bunch of jaded veterans here at StrategyCore for the most part. Which also tend to just contentedly lurk. wink.png

I'll still try to get you guys in the Beta as early as we can :). I really want to know what you think... good or bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...