Multiple Shields - are they cumulative?

Doctoxic

If i have a guy with 2 shields (or a ship for that matter) do they get any benefit from having the second one?

I think i had this once and when the shields went down BOTH seemed to disappear - but a) i'm not sure about this, and B) even if they did both go down was i getting any extra benefit from the second one?

many thanks

Doc

Personal shields and ship shields work in slightly different ways.

For ships, all the shields are wired together and when shield power fails, all the shields go kaput.

For personal shields, the hit-point bars for all the shields in your posession are lumped and displayed together, but each shield works independantly.When one runs out of juice, it gets destroyed and the next one takes over.

So, if you are carrying two shields, each shield will be able to fill up 50% of the bar. When you carry three shields, well, each shield will be able to fill 33.33..% of the shield bar. Four shields - 25%, etc. Every time a shield gets destroyed, the bar is updated to reflect the new number of shields in posession.

It's hard to say which method is best. On the one hand, you lose shields in sequence - which is nice in that you have backups you can rely on, but it makes it rather a hassle to replace the shields afterwards. On the other hand, we have a method that's far easier to maintain, but when shields run out, you lose them in bulk.

- NKF