Some thoughts (no spoilers)

• 2 years later...

Maybe some people should read a little. Skyranger in THIS XCOM is a prototype craft.

But if that was the limitation they could have more soldiers stationed more diverse bases around the world, with conventional transport aircraft - so that two thirds of the civilians don't always die, live on TV.

But... I get the sense that the aliens are doing these deliberate triple simultaneous attacks in order to undermine XCom politically, to split off the funding council and make XCom fail. Since they are scared of XCom - not so much on the battlefield but definitely in the laboratory and for the strategic end game. So maybe if XCom had 3 Skyrangers, the aliens would just do 9 simultaneous attacks - or even just 4 or 5. The hard choice would always be there, regardless of the number of sites vs number of Skyrangers.

I think it's a good mechanic tbh. It could use a little more flavour text to justify it though. They could shake it up a little and not make it always be three sites. Like maybe if you send a conventional transport the Aliens just shoot it down, but only the prototype Skyranger is stealthy enough to get through. And Alien spies killed the designer and ate the plans. Or ate the designer and killed the plans.

What bugs me more is that when Panic builds up in an area there is nothing active you can do about it except the very slow process of building up satellite cover. This is much slower than building new bases was in original XCom, as a response to countries sliding away from XCom. And you could send patrol aircraft in as an immediate response, and that would generate improvements in those countries from the air combat and usually also from the resulting ground combat. In this game you spend months watching the USA go down the toilet and there is literally nothing you can try and do about it - eg I saw that happen after I'd already built a satellite when Panic was only one. There is no response open to you at all and that makes for a somewhat lame game experience imo.